Toyota D4D diesel problems

Page 2 / 3
splinter67, Nov 24, 10:43pm
Hmmm still not about the d4 is it intrade thats about a bracket you should really read your links before you post them still waiting for your link to all these d4s blowing up

matarautrader, Nov 25, 1:12am
Is it possible that there are slight differnces in the Hiace motor to the Hilux motor. The Hiace motors don't seem to be quite as bad as the Hilux motors, but my 07 Hiace sounds like it has a 3' piston in a 4" barrel when it starts. An injector change helped but 30000km later the noise is back.

splinter67, Nov 25, 1:19am
How long before it stops making that noise and are you letting it warm up before you drive off if so how long do you warm it up for

tuttyclan, Nov 25, 1:29am
I know of a 2008 Toyota Hiace D4D with 380,000 km and its rattled like a knackard engine from day one and its still going good and still sounds knackard.

flack88, Nov 25, 1:33am
Not many people now days warm things up,have seen some that start up like stationary generator ,the jandal down before the oil lite gone out !school of thought that you dont need to,now days.

matarautrader, Nov 25, 2:25am
I start the van, adjust seatbelt, stereo etc then drive off. But for the first 10 min I dont use more than 1/3 throttle or rev over 2000rpm. When I get to work ( about 15min) the motor noise has lessened but I still think its excessive.I get a new Hiace later this week so it will be interesting to see the difference. My current one only has 148000km on the clock but its on a 5 year lease so back it goes.

splinter67, Nov 25, 3:02am
Ya might want to warm the new one up before you drive it and it will last longer do you understand that diesels don't like to rev

splinter67, Nov 25, 3:03am
And they wonder why they have problems

matarautrader, Nov 25, 3:55am
Its a well known fact that all work vans are white, all white work vans get thrashed, all white work vans never need servicing, and are faster than all other vehicles on the road. This is shown every morning on Auckland motorways.
But my van is red.
Yes I only wait about 20 sec before I start moving in the van, but I baby it for some time until it is warm. Its mostly downhill for me for the first 6 km so I cruize quietly along. But it still makes a rattle. And to think I had a choice of either a Hiace van or a Great Wall SUV! But thats not really a choice.

splinter67, Nov 25, 4:07am
My vans where red one still is try the warming up thing you might save some fuel as well I used to go out start the van come back inside and finish my coffee and then leave usually 5 or so minutes later maybe that's why I have had no problems I looked after mine

stevo2, Nov 25, 7:44am
Yep Hiace doesnt seem to have the issues due to re-mapping.
My 05 Hiace has only done 131,000km and no issues

incar., Nov 25, 10:10am
well said!

scoobeey, Nov 25, 11:56am
so morale of story buy a red one LOL

strobo, Nov 25, 4:46pm
What ever !Isthe likes of youI was referringon about. ya numpty numpkin.

gadgit3, Nov 25, 6:24pm
Intrade the issue with blown 1KD engines in Hilux was due to lack of correct servicing in all cases. 05 till 07 copper seats needed replacing at 45000kms and this was in the service scheudel. The seat was revised to a coated copper and the 45km replacment was still in place 07 till 09. Then the seat went to alloy and no longer requires replacment.
Hiace required the seat replacment at 90000km due to different ECU mapping the combustion pressures are not as high as the Hilux.
In all cases of engine failer it has been proven that the seat washers had failed and allowed carbon to blow past the injector into the oil and block the oil pump pick up. All avoidable if the 45-90km services had been done correct.

gadgit3, Nov 25, 6:24pm
Intrade the issue with blown 1KD engines in Hilux was due to lack of correct servicing in all cases. 05 till 07 copper seats needed replacing at 45000kms and this was in the service scheudel. The seat was revised to a coated copper and the 45km replacment was still in place 07 till 09. Then the seat went to alloy and no longer requires replacment.
Hiace required the seat replacment at 90000km due to different ECU mapping the combustion pressures are not as high as the Hilux.
In all cases of engine failer it has been proven that the seat washers had never been replaced when due and failed allowing carbon to blow past the injector into the oil and block the oil pump pick up. All avoidable if the 45-90km services had been done correct.

splinter67, Nov 25, 7:08pm
So intrade have you found your links yet strange that 4 people that have had or still have these d4 engines not a blown up one there hmm toyota mechanic saying that if you service them correctly they are fine and guess what no one said they where running flashlube

incar., Nov 25, 7:47pm
i dont live in or around your town gronk

splinter67, Nov 25, 8:00pm
Ya might need those tweezers for yourself lol

stevo2, Nov 26, 7:25am
Very interesting Gadgit.
Since im up to 131,000km, I guess I should look at getting the Hiace done then. What sort of $$$ are we looking at!

gadgit3, Nov 26, 7:34am
Hay stevo, its round a 2hr job ona hiace and bout $70 wortn of parts.

stevo2, Nov 26, 7:36am
Sweet, Thanks.

snoopy221, Nov 26, 12:36pm
Cheers kel (gadgit3)snoopy221 wrote:

Ha Ha. Tis Kel ya want ta come in here and shoot ya down.
Or as splinter pointed out.
Same D4 engine in the hi-ace No Problems
Same engine in the Hi Lux=preoblems.
Engine computer management mapping is diferrent between Hi ace and Hi lux.

Yep Hiace doesnt seem to have the issues due to re-mapping.
My 05 Hiace has only done 131,000km and no issues

Quotestevo2 (407 )8:44 pm, Sun 25 Nov #32

And good advice for ya stevo2

Oh an only 1 fulla is PLUGGIN dat flash lube -K

snoopy221, Nov 26, 12:39pm
End of the day ya SHOULD be competent enough for us to simply READ=
Ya spel mitsi and toyot RIGHT.
But-eveidnce that these are one of the worts

mmkay the ole *flashlube* on da keyboard!

strobo, Nov 26, 4:35pm
Some kind of lube no doubt !