Mazda lantis 1994 auto 1.8?

greenfrogs1, Nov 25, 2:35am
Hi there,
I'm possibly going to buy this for myself as a first car. Does anyone have any feedback for me about this car. Are they a good car to run! I'm over 25 and a lady driver. Any info would be great.

stevexc, Nov 25, 2:44am
This is the 4 cylinder right!Friend of mine had one for years without any major problems (just maintenance items).

greenfrogs1, Nov 25, 2:46am
Thanks I appreciate that, I'm goingto take my friend to look at it with me as I have no clue what to look for.I just wanted to make sure I was not buying rubbish car.

mugenb20b, Nov 25, 3:09am
Common faults: automatic transmission is rubbish, so best avoided if possible. Hydraulic lifters pack up (ticking sound from the engine, but it's not a life threatening problem, annoying more than anything).

Check for water leaks and colour of the coolant, rusty water = walk away. Check cambelt history, easy enough to replace, but if it breaks, you'll be buying a new car. Being an old car, I'm guessing the price will be low, so might pay to check the condition of all 4 tyres. If they are all barely legal, a set of tyres will be worth half as much as the whole car.

the-lada-dude, Nov 25, 4:00am
dont even think about about it !esp the V6 ones

johnf_456, Nov 25, 4:05am
older cars have more value than what you think especially if its a manual. Replacement tyres are no way near half as much. Considering most 1k cars are not really wofable without major major work.

Then buying a brand new car because it costs to much to fix! I think you mean a good second hand car if they are buying second hand to start with because of the cost of a new car most likely.

mugenb20b, Nov 25, 5:20am
Bullshit. And it is an auto.

mugenb20b, Nov 25, 5:21am
I never said 'brand new'. Learn to read.

mugenb20b, Nov 25, 5:23am
OK, now I'm confused.

johnf_456, Nov 25, 5:26am
have a look at most cheap cars.

johnf_456, Nov 25, 5:27am
You said new car, which would be better to say a replacement or secondhand.

mugenb20b, Nov 25, 5:28am
I have, so my comment still stands. Just bought a car last month for $150, needs a tyre for a wof.

mugenb20b, Nov 25, 5:29am
Same difference.

johnf_456, Nov 25, 5:30am
you got lucky for that price, most i look at for that price have major issues

johnf_456, Nov 25, 5:31am
Still a new car.

theram1, Nov 25, 5:32am
It is best to get the car checked by vtnz or agarage first. If it were me I would buy a Toyota, but it is not me.

vtecintegra, Nov 25, 9:20am
Some non reliability observations
- You sit very low in them and outwards visibility isn't good
- The frameless door windows don't tend to seal very well as the car gets older, which results in possible leaks and loud wind noise
- They drive and handle very well for their class (at least the manual ones do). That 1.8 is more powerful than you might expect.

quater, Nov 25, 9:22am
I think its the same engine as the 323, So how can you go wrong.

summer1013, Nov 25, 10:33pm
the-lada-dude.whats wrong with the v6 ones! i havea 2ltr v6 lantis since new and its never missed a beat , well maintained ,

timmo1, Nov 26, 12:15am
They can be pretty thirsty!

summer1013, Nov 26, 6:51am
mines pretty good petrol wise ,mind you i dont thrash it either

summer1013, Nov 26, 6:51am
oh and my one is a manual

johnf_456, Nov 26, 9:41am
Was looking at cars tonight they sure much more than 1k for something descent from a wof point of view, as a avi myself.