How long to use running in oil for?

Page 2 / 2
NZTools, Nov 28, 6:14am
Dissconnect the torque converter from the flexplate and see if the noise goes away.

snoopy221, Nov 28, 6:26am
Jus to !SORT YA HOUERS OUT-RE RUNNING IN!
If! you want a damn good engine then don't use full throttle-and be gentle with it.
AND.COMPRESSION TEST IT.
Regularily during running in.
When the compression stops rising-and that can be 1000 kilometres or MORE

Then you KNOW that the two rough surfaces HAVE fully machined to each other without overheating and overloading and subsequent loss of cylnder piston ring tension against the bore.

[We are all diferrent-however gentle bedding in on older engines and regular compression tests-sorts out facts from fallacies]

have used running in oil for 1500 kilometres-and seen compression gauge readings in the 220 +range on old stuff one would usualy see 150 or so.
And only then would i reset the throttle to fully open

nzoomed, Nov 28, 6:50am
Wish i could do that, but the flywheel and ring gear is all part of the torque converter, if i unbolt the flexiplate from it, i wont be able to start the engine at all.

snoopy221, Nov 28, 7:40am
And ya reckon it's a borg warner 35!
mmkay well either it's a weird ass front wheel drive -or.
When you failed to undo the bolts holding the tourqe convertor to the flexplate and removed the convertor from the transmission with the engine-and then refitted the engine WITHOUT aligning the drive dogs on the end of the tourqe convertor and damaged the oil pump in the front of the transmission.
Then the dead pump is **knockin** and the tranny donna move withooot zee pump workin.

TIP-Bigrubber bung by sump on steel platebetween engine and transmission gives acess to the bolts holding the convertor to the flexplate.

nzoomed, Nov 28, 7:46pm
Well im guessing tis the pump too.
I should mention we had fully rebuilt the auto too.
You have to unbolt the flexiplate from the flywheel/torque converter to get the engine out, so thats not the issue.

the car is your regular morris/austin/wolseley 1800

wrong2, Nov 29, 2:49am
you only have about 50 - 100 km to bed the rings in on a steel bore

almost all new engines are not run in hard enough - babied engines wont ever achieve full normal compression

nzoomed, Nov 29, 7:20am
wqhats good to know, will be removing the engine soon, and see whats gone wrong with the pump.

snoopy221, Nov 29, 11:18am
the two rough surfaces HAVE fully machined to each other without overheating and overloading and subsequent loss of cylnder piston ring tension against the bore.

[We are all diferrent-however gentle bedding in on older engines and regular compression tests-sorts out facts from fallacies]

Q/ was the land crab bored!
I.E Front Wheel Drive 1800 Automatic

mmkay well either it's a weird ass front wheel drive -post#43

nzoomed, Nov 29, 8:52pm
Typical front wheel 1800 landcrab.
has been rebored and is closer to 1900cc now.