Heater not going

rosenshan, Dec 1, 2:12am
Hi, I have a 97 Holden equipe. The heater goes sometimes but only cold, the temp gauge moves sometimes. When temp gauge doesn't move, heater doesn't go but when it does move, heater goes, but only cold. Any ideas on what causes this! Thanks.

jmma, Dec 1, 2:14am
Replace your thermostat in the engine (o:

rosenshan, Dec 1, 2:16am
really! Is that all! lol. Sorry, don't know much about cars, but would the thermostat cause it to only work sometimes!

kazbanz, Dec 1, 2:19am
Just a quick bit of basic info for you. If the car engine is still cold the heater wont be hot.The heater is really just a fan blowing the heat from a radiator into the cabin.-so maybee its that simple

rosenshan, Dec 1, 2:20am
Even when the motor is hot, it still blows cold. when it goes, lol

neryl1, Dec 1, 2:21am
could be air block in cooling system could be heaps of thinks try everything and might sort the problem. electrical for when it doesnt go at all that intermittingly fixes when the temperature gage goes and a different problem for it only going cold not hot such as the two points above.

theram1, Dec 1, 2:22am
please forgive me for this
is the heater control in the red zone or the blue zone

jmma, Dec 1, 2:23am
Does the fan operate normally !
In any case, the motor needs to get up to normal operating temp (about 1/2 way on the guage for everythig else to work properly as well. So pay to get thermostat checked soon.

rosenshan, Dec 1, 2:24am
hehe, I'm not that dumb, lol, definitely in the red. :-)

rosenshan, Dec 1, 2:25am
When the temp gauge does move, it gets to half way and still no heat.

kazbanz, Dec 1, 2:27am
Op You mean Commodore equipe yes!
Has the heater ever worked!
NOT a smart alec question but does the lever feel loose and easy to turn from cold to hot!
Does the heater fan work!

rosenshan, Dec 1, 2:28am
Yip, commodore equipe.
I have only had it a couple of weeks, and nothing was mentioned when I bought it, the fan works sometimes, not all the time, no loose or broken bits.

theram1, Dec 1, 2:32am
If the temp gets hot and still cold air blows there might be a fault in the system that let the hot water circulate to the heater. A blocked hose.

kazbanz, Dec 1, 2:43am
HMM ok
Well that really means it could be anything.
Option one being that the heater radiator is broken -so the pipes have been looped in the engine bay.
Option two being as someone said.The thermostat has been removed.
Option three being that the electrics in the dash are busted --which sounds likely

kazbanz, Dec 1, 2:43am
HMM ok
Well that really means it could be anything.
Option one being that the heater radiator is broken -so the pipes have been looped in the engine bay.
Option two being as someone said.The thermostat has been removed.
Option three being that the electrics in the dash are busted --which sounds likely
Option four being busted control cables
Option five -blocked radiator (heater)

rosenshan, Dec 1, 2:49am
Looks like a trip to the mechanic me thinks. Thanks for your help. much appreciated. :-)

intrade, Dec 1, 3:04am
looks more like you had a rat eating your wiring. the heater fan you talk about going and not going . And the heater gate actarly never opening at all. thats what i get from your posts Depending on how the heater is turned on and off. most newer cars just have a flap moved with a electric motor or vaccume or mechanical wire. I would guess your car has electric motor and the rat has eaten a bit of all the wiring explaining why the gague also wont work right on the dash.