Cornering tips to preserve tyre life

Page 1 / 2
master-trader, Dec 2, 1:30am
I've become a bit more focused on my car it's longevity .including the tires.

I was thinking aboutthe Peter Brock "brake on the straight." ads the other day and it got me thinking about braking and the lines people drive through corners.

In terms of the relationship between braking driving lines, andtyre longevity, asides from maintaining air pressure and wheel alignments, are there general rules of thumb,/principlespeople (should) adhere to keep their tyres alive that bit longer ! (this is based on domestic cars and domestic driving, not racing)

alimac1, Dec 2, 1:36am
The"brake on the straight was a safety issue and aimed at cars without ABS.

To get the best mileage from your tyres:
1 keep alignment done regularly
2 Maintain correct tyre pressures
3 drive like a nana
4 no burnouts

scoobeey, Dec 2, 1:52am
I live on a back road and my tyres chew out on corners quite quick .oh well nana not 4 me haha

splinter67, Dec 2, 2:01am
Bellend will be along shortly his google is a bit slow like himself

master-trader, Dec 2, 2:05am
should we be bracing ourselves !

splinter67, Dec 2, 2:07am
it might be like his observations in the offset wheel debacle total rubbish

mrfxit, Dec 2, 2:20am
Of course ^ ^ ^^PLUS.

Do your hardest braking up until JUST before the apex of the corner then get off the brake & back on the go peddle a little (or enough to suit the speed in relation to how tight the corner is)

FWD cars . Mmmmm now theres a good debate for tyre pressures.
Over the years I have found the following.
Presuming no extra passengers or weight & 1 or 2 ppl total

Small fwd cars = 32psi front / 28psi rear
Larger fwd small cars = 34psi front / 28psi rear
Large fwd cars = 34spi front / 30psi rear

Small to medium rwd cars = 32psi front / 30psi rear
Large rwd cars = 34psi front / 30psi rear

Large domestic rwd vans (toyota townaces) etc 40psi front / 30psi rear
Large domestic fwd vans" " " " " " " etc 45psi front / 30psi rear

Has worked out to be the best overall setting for comfort/ cornering & reasonable even wear.

Lower pressures has proven to rip the shoulders off the front tyres & higher wears the centers out of the back.

Higher fronts get too hard & slide a bit more then happy with

My 88 SUrf with 31" tyres runs happy at 38psi all round

msigg, Dec 2, 5:41am
Change your tyres around on a regular basis, simply the faster you corner the more wear, de-celerate earlier because braking causes wear as well. And after driving like a nanafor a while your old habits will come back. Just don't worry about it, A couple of tanks of gas and you could buy a tyre. Walk.

gunhand, Dec 2, 5:52am
Make the corner as straight as possable buy cutting it. Save ya tyres but will increase your likelyhood of extinction a 100 fold, or some other poor buggers.
Or you could buy a Falcon and not worry bout the corners as they wear the tyres out on straight roads.

chebry, Dec 2, 6:01am
Learn how to drive smoothly and braking in corners is stupid

berg, Dec 2, 6:07am
Bingo. Be smooth

morrisman1, Dec 2, 6:13am
drive to a (safe) racing line, you will straighten out the corners which either means you wont be wearing the tyres as much, or if you decide to make use of the extra speed you can carry through the corner you will save money on gas by not having to accelerate after the corner.

Don't overdrive the car, feel when the grip is peaking and don't try turn any harder than that as all you are doing is increasing wear while grip is actually decreasing

Spend as much time airborne over crests as you can, the tyres aren't going to wear when they aren't touching the road.

blinker69, Dec 2, 10:01am
Question.when filling the air in tyres,do you fill the required pressure as according to the car recommendations or the tyre recommendations!
I have been having debates about this with people,no real answer and reasons was given.

mrfxit, Dec 2, 7:58pm
Car tyre factory spec's are a " recommended guide line" as are the tyre spec's.

What changes are .
local area road conditions
Specific country driver "driving" habits
Local load capacity habits/ needs.

Factory spec's are designed for smooth roads.
NZ is 1 of the very few countrys in the world that use's stone chip (gravel) for a top surface, which is effectively like a giant cheese grater surface.

What I mentioned in my list, is what has worked reasonably well over many years, with many vehicles, all over the North Island

mrfxit, Dec 2, 7:58pm
Firstly . "car recommendations", they are set to suit as a "medium"workable setting for most situations but don't take much notice of wear levels or local conditions.
Car tyre factory spec's are a " recommended guide line" as are the tyre spec's.

What changes are .
local area road conditions
Specific country driver "driving" habits
Local load capacity habits/ needs.

Factory spec's are designed for smooth roads.
NZ is 1 of the very few countrys in the world that use's stone chip (gravel) for a top surface, which is effectively like a giant cheese grater surface.

What I mentioned in my list, is what has worked reasonably well over many years, with many vehicles, all over the North Island

bill-robinson, Dec 2, 8:01pm
ultimate tyre life will come from using any other form of transport and leaving the car at home.

mrfxit, Dec 2, 8:01pm
LOL . D'OH

mrfxit, Dec 2, 8:03pm
I never realized how much spare cash I had after pay day until I brought my 1st vehicle & HAD to pay for repairs.

jgig23, Dec 2, 8:09pm
to save your tyres use the whole road when driving regardless of anyone else, drive at an excessive speed to get there sooner therefore using tyres less. when possible get the car on two wheels in corners to reduce tyre wear by 50%.

pnp, Dec 2, 8:13pm
Nah, Just take corners faster till ya up on 2 wheels - there-by saving wear on the inside 2 tyres!I remember seeing a police training doco on TV many many years ago. They were doing pursuit & driver training for the new recruits at the police college in Wgtn. I always recall the instructor saying "a singing tyre is a happy tyre!"You'd never get them saying that on tv these days! haha

pnp, Dec 2, 8:14pm
Well done jgig - wise mind think alike. We were both posting at the same time! haha

rsr72, Dec 2, 8:21pm
The best tyre saver, (and fuel saver), by far would be smoother NZ road surfaces.

kazbanz, Dec 2, 10:11pm
Tyre pressure needs to be to tyre manufacturer recommended pressure.
Arguably from there you could fine tune the pressures to suit the driving conditions and the vehicle by "reading" the tyres after a drive.

bill-robinson, Dec 2, 10:18pm
do tyres have a recommended pressure on them! I thought only a maximum pressure was specified. long time since I looked as i have a half a clue about cars

kazbanz, Dec 2, 10:20pm
Op- theres literally billions of dollars spent by "tyre guys" to get the best combination of longevity and grip from tyres.
Trouble is this research is based on suspension and its settings being optimum for the car and ther driving conditions.
I honestly feel that updateing the suspension is the best way to improve tyre life