1990 Subaru Ace 800cc

sxcstar, Dec 2, 10:24am
Looking at one of these as a city run about till February. Has a quiet noise from the tappets at high rev's, wondering if this is a major issue or is common of these smaller engine cars.

r.g.nixon, Dec 2, 10:27am
I have a 1990 Subaru Ace. Has had a loud noise for the past year or two. I asked the garage about it - sounded like tappets. But this car does not have tappets. He said it was the engine, but not worth fixing. So I just keep driving.

intrade, Dec 2, 10:29am
maybe its the bigent then

intrade, Dec 2, 10:29am
maybe its the bigend then

sxcstar, Dec 2, 10:33am
Are they good little cars though! Just has wof till March and is a 4 speed with 150ks on it and asking $1000, just wondering with the noise if it could be $1000 down the drain

intrade, Dec 2, 10:36am
dont know but you cant expect any warranty at a grand anything up to 2 grand is regarded scrap metal these days. petrol carscan go for longer with bigend play if you use higher octane fuel then you wont make the problem worse and retarding timing manual if it has no nocksender. provided it is the bigends pinging.

intrade, Dec 2, 10:40am
you got another 20 tausend befor the clutch will be gone . 170k is whwere most clutches get replaced its first time.myght pay to price a clutch just to see before purchase.

sxcstar, Dec 2, 10:46am
clutch seems ok on the test drive, only expecting to do at most a couple thousand k before im off to Wellington so will be sold again before i leave.

gypsyguy, Dec 5, 2:40am
Does a car this small have a big end! Maybe it has a little end! LOL

the-lada-dude, Dec 5, 4:25am
do they have hydraulic lifters !