Time to sell your V8's

Page 4 / 4
mram, Dec 10, 8:06am
Wow a Bricklin in NZ! Did they stop using the AMC V8 engines!

harry353, Dec 10, 9:23am
Exactly.Most of us who own V8s can afford the minor cost of the fuel. Also the older V8s are only popular in a few countries like the US, England, Oz, NZ and of course Cuba. Hardly a global issue.

hpaul, Dec 10, 10:59am
In own a 2.0 litre diesel.
It's fun, fast (240kph) and frugal (5.5 litres per 100kms). Doesn't sound like V8 but it'll keep up with them.

harry353, Dec 10, 11:13am
Who cares. V8 it aint.

3tomany, Dec 10, 7:42pm
keep up! [nset tui slogan] although a ford focus did once beat a lambo in europe from point a to point b driving flat out on roads without speed restriction because the lambo spent to much time gasing up

tgray, Dec 10, 7:44pm
A Bricklin! Now that's a surprise.
Would be great to see it at the Kumeu show in Feb!

hpaul, Dec 10, 8:03pm
Bit behind the times 3tomany, some modern diesels chuck out as much power and more torque than a lot of V8's, if not the charisma.

My unmodified clattery little 2.0litre diesel will run a 1/4 mile in the 14's, lap Ruapuna in 1.48 and only use 6litres/100km (50mpg) on a run.

I'd say quick frugal diesels are the future, but they're not, they're here now.

The end of the big V8 is a little way off yet but, unfortunately (because I love them) the writing's on the wall.

bryshaw, Dec 10, 8:09pm
There used to be a saying that having a V8 was more economical in the long run because of low maintenance costs. That was when UK fuel miser cars motors lasted about 100,000 kms if you were lucky.then along came the Japs. The sound of a V8 is music to the ears, if a very expensive noise.

trogedon, Dec 11, 5:06am
I had family members with V8 (mainly Valiants). Even back in the 70s & 80s they were more expensive to run - the engines stayed together but the brakes, transmissions etc cost the $$ and time off the road.

lazzo, Dec 11, 6:26am
I'm tired of the "But I've got a 2L car that will whip the pants off a V8" arguments. and yes there are plenty of cars out there with small cc ratings that will match or beat V8's. But at the end of the day they're still not a V8.

I'm in my 30's now, but when I was a young buck I owned many small turbo charged Japanese cars and loved every bit of it, but as I have aged gracefully I have acquired the taste for the V8 and the good things in life they bring with them. And I couldn't be happier.

neville48, Dec 11, 6:32am
Be even better if you bring it to Kumeu in January, wont have the same impact in February methinks.

townie55, Dec 11, 8:50am
I own a V8 gas guzzler - really shitty mileage.Terrible in fact.Add to that I can't really afford it.any 1st year budget advisor would see it should be sold and down the road.But I love it.It's a drug.It keeps me poor and very happy.No radio, just the sound of the motor.What a way to live. :)

corvette3, Dec 11, 9:05am
Yes they used 360 AMC motors for a short time and then started using 351 Windsor motors.

corvette3, Dec 11, 9:10am
My Bricklin is apparently 1 of 2 in the Southern Hemisphere.I do know of the other Bricklin as I saw it cruising in Christchurch 2 weeks ago.

panelvanner, Dec 12, 7:08am
That's cool!

carclan, Dec 12, 10:25am
I don't think so