The good the bad and the ugly. Comments please.

bjdw, Dec 5, 4:17am
Thinking of buying a 94 Nissan Navara 2.4l (KA24) injected double cab 2WD.
It has 512,000 on the clock.Asking price is 2900 but he'll take 2500.

When I look at is there anything in particular I should look for!
Is 500k way to high! Is it running on borrowed time!

Any other comments / advice appreciated.

Thanks

mugenb20b, Dec 5, 4:35am
500k! That's a bit of a gamble. The things I'd watch out for are a noisy timing chain and gearbox. I've seen one break a chain guide and lodge itself bewteen the cam sprocket and timing chain, bent some valves.apart from that, it is a good ute.

Can you not get a 2.7 diesel for the same money!

m16d, Dec 5, 4:38am
Wow. half a million K's. hope the RUC's up to date.

andy61, Dec 5, 5:04am
m16d wrote:
Wow. half a million K's. hope the RUC's up to date.[/quote
Do they charge RUC`s on petrol utes!

m16d, Dec 5, 5:51am
OK.my bad.

supernova2, Dec 5, 5:56am
My 91 Navara (Z24) has done over 800km and motor untouched.Don't think the KA24 will be much different life wise.Gearbag and diff are marginal but it still goes and gets wofs etc.

bjdw, Dec 5, 6:23am
Don't want the hassle of RUC. I'm bad as it is for lettimg my rego and WOF go overdue. And apparently rego is $600 a year for a diesel ute. Yikes!

franc123, Dec 5, 9:40am
It could be worth a punt at that price, it would still pay to take a competent mechanic along with you to get an idea of how its been treated and maintained over the last couple of hundred thou and realistically how much life its still got left. Ideally start it from cold, pay attention to any timing chain or other noises, and give it a good run to warm it up and again see if any rattles show up or if the engine fumes from the oil filler cap hole. If its quiet, starts easy, idles smooth, pulls well and has a clean cooling system chances are its ok. Likewise check for any diff, gearbox or suspension noise and looseness. The D21 Navara is a pretty tough beast though and in a lot of ways was a more robust vehicle than the model that replaced it. Good luck.

lazzo, Dec 5, 12:39pm
Spend decent money and buy a decent one.

bjdw, Dec 8, 5:18am
And what money might that be!You gonna give me some!

llortmt, Dec 8, 8:18am
Nice answer!