Using the median strip when turning on to a road.

Page 2 / 2
meathead_timaru, Dec 6, 6:38am
Yeah, it won't happen because it's not politically viable - all NZers think they're good drivers. It's much more palatable to simply follow the 'speed kills' slogan - the hoi polloi can get that because it's simple. To them 'poor driving kills' will always mean someone is the risk, because they're good drivers.

There should also be an automatic 28-day drivers licence suspension for anyone at fault in an insurance claim or crash.

gammelvind, Dec 6, 7:51am
A resit at least the theory every 10 years would be a good idea.
As far as it not being fair, welcome to the world kiddo, life ain't fair! When you have been driving without incident for many years, then you can say how great it was to learn how to drive properly.

morrisman1, Dec 6, 6:58pm
I have to do three tests a year to maintain aviation licences that I already hold, and that number is only going to go up. Why are people complaining about the possibility of having to retest your driver's licence every ten years! It will increase road safety, reduce frustration and maybe congestion and create a few jobs at the same time. Win win, but no government will introduce it because they are too limp dicked and dont want to piss off the entire electoral roll.

smac, Dec 6, 7:32pm
Money, mate. It's always money.

bjdw, Dec 8, 5:25am
That's one ugly intersection.Is it pretty high volume!

smac, Dec 9, 7:48am
Heh, yeah it is. Straight through lane is 100kph, main line from Palmerston North east (so Ashhurst, the Manawatu Gorge, Hawkes Bay etc). The road to the top is the main road to a large new residential area, plus onto the main industrial area in PN. They've redone it a few times, I think eventually it'll end up as a round-about.

wind.turbine, Dec 9, 8:09am
I disagree with the towing part.
No need or it.
how many crashes involve a trailer! A lot less than with out

meathead_timaru, Dec 9, 9:53am
Per km driven, crashes involving light simple trailers are a lot higher than crashes not involving a trailer.

outbidyou2, Dec 9, 9:57am
Thanks meathead

smac, Dec 9, 7:05pm
Source please .

splinter67, Dec 9, 7:09pm
His toilet

mrfxit, Dec 9, 8:12pm
YEp totally agree.
When using a medium strip .
Leaving a lane to turn right . Yep no worrys
Entering a lane from a side road or from parked on the side of a road turning right . NOPE.
As above, seen a few ppl freak out when I had done it in the past & nearly freaked out myself when some twit has HOOFED it off the side road & into the medium strip.
It can be really hard to judge if they are going to stop or not when they do it in a hurry

mrfxit, Dec 9, 8:15pm
DUh well yea, overall, na wrong way to think about it.
In a licence resit >>

A basic trailer test IF you own a vehicle with a 'working' towbar fitted would be a great idea because of temptation & availability to use it
(basic's of how to hitch it up/ basic backing/ visual wof check)

A reverse parking test & both 3 point turn maneuvers (std & reverse)should be compulsory

gilco2, Dec 9, 8:57pm
in 1971 in Hamilton I had to do 3 point turn and reverse park on flat and on steep hill.same as at compulsory stop. Flat and on the hill.

smac, Dec 9, 9:19pm
Then you should have a test on how to change a wheel, how to safely remove a stuck piece of toast from the toaster, how to safely use a wheel barrow, how to slice tomatoes, and how to open an envelope without getting a paper cut. Testing cyclists makes way more sense.

Driver testing is about to how operate a vehicle on the road while presenting as little danger to yourself and other road users as is practically possible. Using a trailer as very little impact on anything to do with that.

smac, Dec 9, 9:20pm
Also how on earth do you enforce it! Cops pull over everyone towing to see if they've taken the test! Or simply pull over everyone with a towbar in case they're tempted to use it when the nanny, sorry, cop, isn't looking!

rsr72, Dec 9, 9:33pm
Nonsense. The country is held back by far too much Nanny State bureaucracy as it is without the need to add more.
What next in addition, a tire-changing test!