Diagnosis - Commodore

tahnasha, Dec 5, 10:35pm
Hi guys, just wondering what the problem with my car could be.When I'm on the motorway (or whever) and I put my foot on the brake the car feels like it's shuddering (not really bad).Also when I start it up it sometimes sounds a bit rough but then settles down when I'm driving.It's due for a service, but that won't fix any of those problems will it!What's the difference between a service and a tune up!Also if I let go of the steering wheel it pulls one way, is that a wheel alignment!

The car is 2006 Commodore Executive.

thunderbolt, Dec 5, 11:03pm
In order as listed
1, Brake shudder, disc rotors warped, can be fixed with rotor and pad replacement or rotor machining. MIght be due for brake work anyway.
2, Service can include a tune up, but it costs more.
Really only oil,filters and plugs to replace on most modern cars, unless a plug lead or coil pack is breaking down.
3, Pulling one way canbe caused by alignment, it should be noticeable in Tyre wear. Any decent tyre shop can advise you on this one.

tahnasha, Dec 6, 3:09am
OK thanks for that.

the-lada-dude, Dec 6, 4:23am
sometimes re machining the discs wont work as they warp again, some model falcons were bad for this problem

petermcg, Dec 6, 8:33am
Also the actual tyre can be the cause of the car pulling to one side,, a good idea is to try swapping the front tyres side for side and see what happens. I would suggest new pads and some second hand rotors. Tune up can be very expensive so put up with it like it is unless the mechanic notices something obvious, when he does the service, like the leads as it could well be.

40wav, Dec 6, 8:34am
I did my '95 Commodore ute brakes (front) and got the discs for around $70 each, and good pads for $50 a set. All good now, not even worth mucking about machining discs when things are cheap as that to replace.

unbeatabull, Dec 6, 8:41am
There are cases where even at work we advise the customer that at the end of the day new aftermarket rotors are cheaper then machining the current ones are going to be!

As far as tune up goes - there is still quite a bit on modern cars that you can do on a "tune up" (All service items at my work that I check/carry out on each service)
- Checking for any software updates (ECU/PCM/etc)
- Checking coils, spark plugs, leads, etc
- Decarboning inlet tract/Manifold, idle controls, throttle body, etc
- Cleaning PCV, EGR, other emissions stuff where fitted
- Cleaning MAF/Air Flow Sensors
- Checking Air flow not blocked at all (Air Filter, ducting etc) and checking all hoses + clamps are tight (particularly on turbo/boosted vehicles!
- Checking for any vacuum leaks, fuel leaks, etc