12V LED trailer lights.

donz01, Dec 8, 1:35am
I am looking at putting some 12VLED lights onto my trailer and over heard another person who was buying a set say to his mate that they are LED so they will also work with 24V as well.I know there are multivolt LEDs that work on between 8V and 30v and they would be better . Has anyone ever used 12LED and plugged 24V through them. Did they still work!

clark20, Dec 8, 1:50am
No, 12V ones will expire. You can buy set 12V or 24V ones or multivoltage ones. Go to BNT and get some Hella 2394 / 2395s

http://www.hella.co.nz/3-597-1669/product/

LEDs are not multivoltage, its is the electronics installed before them.

mrfxit, Dec 8, 3:06am
AND

Some cars (modern & older) have to have "KITS" fitted before using led's (& vise versa with std bulbs) or you will screw the cars electrical system

thunderbolt, Dec 8, 4:59am
I fitted Narva multi voltage lights to a horse float that was used on a variety of cars and always had blown bulbs etc.
Best move ever, no more issues.
They were the same size as the old common square lamps that took the festoon style bulbs.

donz01, Dec 11, 8:36am
Cheers, I got a set of just 12v LEDs . The trailer will only be used behind my car so not going to worry about having multivolts in case it went behind something else.

mm12345, Dec 11, 8:56am
You could wire one of these in to each circuit, if it draws less than 1A (12W - fine for LED trailer lights).
http://www.jaycar.co.nz/productView.asp!ID=ZV1512
Then ok with 24V systems.
Some LEDs have voltage/current regulators built in, but not the cheapies.
Not sure how to solve the problem with (mainly stupid euro) cars trying to save a few ounces of copper wire, with poorly designed and implemented CAN bus systems and an expensive to replace BCM hidden where the sun don't shine.What makes the stupid things throw a fit if an LED is wired in parallel!

rsr72, Dec 12, 1:58am
An LED trailer light problem with some Euro's,( BMW,.), is that the 1.2vpulse through the light circuits warning of bulb failure sets all the LEDs flickering on/off as they're sensitive to low voltages.
BMW NZ advise is that circuits/computers cannot be altered to fix this.

zak1998, Dec 12, 2:47am
I got a pair for my trailer they great and very bight good price to

http://www.burnsco.co.nz/Products_28.aspx!CategoryId=73&ProductId=7625

tigra, Dec 12, 3:00am
What about these then - # 542706875

969pnz, Dec 12, 5:59am
What about indicator lamps! I've heard that the LED current draw may not be enough to trigger some units.

mrfxit, Dec 12, 7:48am
THAT ^ ^ ^ yea.

Apparently a very expensive "lighting kit" solution to be fitted.

mm12345, Dec 12, 9:27am
Sounds like a blatant rip-off.
I'm struggling with why a 1.2V pulse to check for blown bulb could be upset by having an LED light in the circuit (not saying it doesn't - but the reason!).
Along with windscreen wipers that actuate in the wet, headlights which come on the the dark, cars which park themselves, seats which automatically adjust depending on which key is being used, the auto industry seems ever more determined to cater for abject morons.

eagles9999, Dec 13, 6:51pm
I dont think I am an abject moron but I appreciate wipers that come on in the rain. Headlights that auto come onare for the real morons who dont appreciate when its dark that they need lights on to be seen. Also cars that park themselves do a service to traffic being held up by poor drivers taking 3 or 4 goes to parallel park in a narrow main street.

rsr72, Dec 14, 2:16am
A normal 12v bulb does not light up on a small 1.2v current, but when LED trailer lights are connected the LED's are so sensitive to low voltage currents they pick up the car's inbuilt 1.2v pulse and flash every second or so.
For some inane reason, some BMW models (and perhaps some others) have this inherent problem and BMW themselves don't want to know about it.