Looking to buy a Ute

Page 1 / 3
saturn51, Dec 11, 10:27am
G'day team, I'm looking at selling my wee 1.3L Tercel sedan and buying a Ute of some sort (most likely 2.2L to 2.6L) for general running about and also to use as a tow vehicle for my Production Saloon (VK Commodore). As I am a bit of a car newbie, I thought this would be the place to ask for advice. I'm a Uni student on a budget of around $4,000 so have been looking at Ford Couriers in the 1990-94 range as I have heard they are bulletproof. Any advice or discussion would be much appreciated!

Cheers,
Rob.

nightboss, Dec 11, 11:50am
For the towing you mention you should estimate the all up towing weight. Car, trailer and equipment. A quick estimate would put that at about 2,500kg, so the trailer must be braked. Towing ratings for vehicles are given as braked and unbraked (eg: my 4wd towbar is rated at 800/2000kg).

I hope this helps with the selection of Ute for your needs.

daryl14, Dec 11, 6:44pm
You're a Uni student! do your self a favour and sell the race car. You have no business owning it. Just my opinion. You're gonna make life very hard for yourself if you keep blowing money on that shit.

mugenb20b, Dec 11, 6:45pm
The Couriers in that age group can have gearbox problems, and can blow head gaskets if the cooling systems have been neglected. Good utes otherwise. 2.0 litre petrol is just about useless for towing a car trailer, 2.2 goes a lot better, and I don't like the 2.6, but either way, make sure the tow bar is up the job.

splinter67, Dec 11, 6:54pm
What a tosspot

splinter67, Dec 11, 6:55pm
Are you planning to travel or just race at temarua!

sr2, Dec 11, 7:05pm
Member of thge Green Party!

saturn51, Dec 11, 7:19pm
Cheers for the valuable insight to the information that I was asking about. I feel everyone on this thread is now better off after your input.

saturn51, Dec 11, 7:20pm
G'day, most of the racing will be at Te Marua, while there may be the odd trip (one or two a year) to Wanganui.

splinter67, Dec 11, 7:37pm
A courier should be fine to get to temarua it will tow it to wanganui as well but would be better if you can find some nice person with a bigger tow vehicle to tow it to wanganui there are lots of good people in the wellington club that will help you hope you have fun racing your proddy a great classto get young people like yourself into a great sport what number are you will come and say Hi when we come down that way

saturn51, Dec 11, 7:51pm
Perfect! Cheers for that, this is the kind of info I'm after. 781w is the racing number, just started out. Feel free to swing by for a yarn if you're ever round!

splinter67, Dec 11, 7:53pm
Will do best of luck and most of all have fun

the_chooky, Dec 11, 10:29pm
If your looking at Couriers,steer clear of the one with the Mazda 2.2 diesel in it. That is the biggest piece of crap ford ever stuck a badge on.

Get a Nissan.they're bullet proof.

chebry, Dec 11, 10:39pm
Get a dieselturboToyota Nissan Mitsi pick a brand but stay away from petrol they aint fast but you have a race car to play fast in. Go hard.

saturn51, Dec 12, 4:07am
Why do you suggest that I stay away from a petrol! Do they just not have enough guts to tow with!

splinter67, Dec 12, 4:12am
The diesel will tow better they have more low down grunt or torque to the people who understand

splinter67, Dec 12, 4:19am
Something like this will be sweet as 540528185 at $1500 your well under budget and fun in the off season

saturn51, Dec 12, 5:02am
So what's the issue with a Mazda 2.2 diesel engine!

johnf_456, Dec 12, 5:20am
Seriously,the dude just wanted advice.

johnf_456, Dec 12, 5:20am
He must be!

daryl14, Dec 12, 5:24am
I gave the best advise I could think of, Can't believe anyone would encourage this.

daryl14, Dec 12, 5:24am
Don't name call or I'll come and get you.

johnf_456, Dec 12, 5:26am
sigh

treachug, Dec 12, 5:40am
You're entitled to your opinion - thats fine. But at least the guy is getting himself invloved a sport where you meet people from all over NZ, who become friends for life. A family sport where many families are involved together & keep involved for many years etc.
So I guess you would rather a uni student spend any spare cash they have on booze & the rush of excitement getting drunk every week & throwing up etc!
Nice.

johnf_456, Dec 12, 5:51am
.Then cause violence, waste police time,emergency departments time when they are treating self inflicted ones in ED. When they could treat much better problems.