Looking to buy a Ute

Page 2 / 3
berg, Dec 12, 5:56am
Keep an eye on good surfs as well. Dad thinking of selling his, yep its only a 2.4 turbo dsl one but its immaculate, had a big bore exhaust fitted since landing here, had cooling system gone right through, had new feet, got less that 100k on it and he's looking at only $4kish. Best bit with a surf and speedway cars, you can lock ya tools away while at the club rooms afterwards to stop thieving little tossbags helping themselves.

splinter67, Dec 12, 6:03am
Yup had that happen at temarua years ago found out on the Monday night when we went to unload the car never mind they have fixed that problem now and insureance paid out

sr2, Dec 12, 7:23am
And again please in English??

jason18, Dec 12, 7:42am
Why not buy a cheap falcon! Be perfect for towing. Get an el or AU wagon they cheap as chips. Probably pick up one for around 2.5-3k and they have room in the boot. Strip the back seats out. Plenty of power and a bit of comfort too.

grangies, Dec 12, 7:59am
He may be a Uni student from a wealthy family, on a limited but generous budget.

He may be someone who will eventually be on $500,000 per year, and will spend mega bucks on his enthusiasm for motor sport, which in turn helps the automotive trade many times more than the average driver.

Are you jealous! Or do you hate cars!

johnf_456, Dec 12, 8:23am
I will spell it out for you, it's continuation of the above post.

What's your suggestion for the op or do we only have a dig as usual.

nukhelenc, Dec 12, 8:57am
I hardly think your in a position to comment when your one of the biggest practicing trolls on Trademe.

outbidyou2, Dec 12, 9:04am
Thanks John, insightful as usual.

Do you work at vtnz, thought I saw you the other day!

paull, Dec 12, 10:10am
haha why do all the threads end in arguments and slander, what a joke it is, the poor bloke is asking for advice and all he gets to read is school yard bollocks, theres only a couple of decent answers to his questions.

johnf_456, Dec 12, 10:43am
hell no i refuse to recommend them full stop so don't make comments like that.

I see nukhelenc is still following me.

johnf_456, Dec 12, 10:46am
its just the way it is here, any comment you make will be twisted. You even have some that follow you from thread to thread to do it.

harry353, Dec 12, 10:52am
I would NOT go for a Surf or Hilux 2.4. Underpowered and with only 230 nm torque is going to get you to about 70 ks, unless into a head wind then it will stop. Well maybe a little faster but it will struggle all day and make you tired before the real driving starts.And don't go SWB if you want to arrive in one piece. You will be towing over 2000kg so you will need something with some real power and with a longish wheelbase. (yes I know that the Surf and Hilux are longer than a swb).As previously suggested a falcon would be ok. I have done a lot of towing and the more power the better. And also think about stopping too. Good brakes are essential. Ask any of the 4wd Nationals trials guys who drive all over NZ towing their trucks. There is no substitute of power.

saturn51, Dec 12, 11:19am
Cheers for the info! As much as I would love to get my hands on a Falcon or Holden ute, I have to be realistic with what it is going to cost me to run it every day, and sadly a 4.0L Falcon is a bit too far on the pricey side of things, even though the power is there for towing. As a result, I've had to compromise and start looking towards a Ute around the 2.2L to 2.6L range in order to have some sort of power to tow with, while still being economical to run.

Cheers,
Robbie.

splinter67, Dec 12, 6:24pm
LOL we used to tow a stockcar with a surf which is way heavier than a production saloon if ya cant tow at 90ks you dont know how to drive a diesel. to be towing over 2000kg what sort of trailer do you think he will be towing btw been involved in speedway since 84 I know a little about this

harry353, Dec 12, 9:58pm
I'm sure you know a little about everything.

splinter67, Dec 12, 10:07pm
And this is why Im going to attack you because your talking rubbish

harry353, Dec 12, 10:10pm
What is the "rubbish" exactly.

splinter67, Dec 12, 10:14pm
that you know what a 2.4 can tow could be ya need to learn how to drive a diesel before you say that it is under powered but what would I know Ive only spent 20 odd years driving them

harry353, Dec 12, 10:22pm
That is a huge pity. Perhap when you can afford a better car you might try a Prado 3.0 Diesel and other cars more suited to towing. They make life a lot easier. I also tow a very large caravan and appreciate that power.

splinter67, Dec 12, 10:35pm
Nothing to do with not being able to afford to buy a better vehicle to tow with the surf worked fine and the money was spent on the race car thats why it was in the top 3 most of the time now you do understand that speedway is a dirty greasy sport why would you want to put all that mess in a prado . Why was your trailer so heavy did it have a complete wooden deck the last speedway trailer I had was about 650kgs it was only good for a car though and carrying lengths of steel

harry353, Dec 12, 10:49pm
650kgs + 1200kgs = 1850kgs which is not far off the 2000kgs is it!

splinter67, Dec 12, 10:55pm
No its not but if ya knew speedway you would know that stockcars are between 1400 and 1500kgs so your talking about a subject you dont know a lot about so I will end this conversation now because Im wasting my time come back when you know what your talking about

harry353, Dec 12, 10:59pm
The original post was for him to tow a production saloon.stay with it (the subject not the thread). Yeah I've had enough too.

johnf_456, Dec 13, 1:09am
careful

un_known, Dec 13, 1:32am
FFS man grow up this isnt primary school.