Mitsubishi chariot grandis, missing and runin ruf

koozapets, Dec 12, 5:42am
What could cause my mitzi to suddenly start missing and playing up, thought it was breaks to start with as appeared to be reluctant to run smoothly, but appears to be missing when running it, struggled to get up the hill to home. Any one had this problem! If so what was the cost involved in repairs!

mugenb20b, Dec 12, 5:49am
Most likely a dead coil.

koozapets, Dec 12, 5:55am
Any idea on how much it would cost to replace the coil, this is whatbthebgarage thought, but can't fit the car in till Friday, want to know if we could be looking at a big bill

thunderbolt, Dec 12, 5:55am
More chance that its low on Halogen fluid than a brake problem

mugenb20b, Dec 12, 6:02am
They take regular fluid, not the fancy Halogen type.

mugenb20b, Dec 12, 6:04am
A coil can range anywhere from $150 to $400, but you still need to take the car to a garage for accurate diagnosis, all we can do on here is guess.

koozapets, Dec 12, 6:05am
Are you meaning petrol! As it was half full, I only put in regular 91

koozapets, Dec 12, 6:07am
Thank you for that, as it will give me some idea at least, it's booked in for Friday and will be getting its tune and service at same time, we have been told to get rid of it as they are nothing but trouble.

kazbanz, Dec 12, 6:07am
bein serious.-the grandis is notorious for giving issues with the GDI
I bet its smoking a bit on startup too.
If it was me Id try tossing a new set of plugs at it first.
Not saying it aint a coil because Im basing what I'm saying on personal experience

lazzo, Dec 12, 6:10am
Only the Grandis prior to 2002 are trouble. The model from 2003 onwards is very reliable

koozapets, Dec 12, 6:36am
My one is 1999 and it certainly is smoking on starting, this has only started to happen as well, thank you for the suggestions as it gives me a bit of hope that maybe it won't be big dollars, garage man said he thinks either spark plugs or coil so will interesting to see.

n3d4sp3d, Dec 12, 7:40am
common faults on 4g64 gdi making them miss are : worn plugs, hole in a h/t lead, dead coil, dirty bucket filter. cheapest and easiest to start with is the plugs and leads

kazbanz, Dec 12, 7:50am
Ive traded in a few of these.
As I said the usual thing is that one plug is coated in sooty crud.Rplace the plugs and it may well run good as gold for awhile, But the mechanic is right-time to get rid of it

cowlover, Dec 12, 7:57am
From what I have seen on here the best possible thing is to find you Grandis missing - as in stolen.

andy61, Dec 12, 8:02am
Most likely needs the manifold(GDI) cleaning but save yourself the ongoing grief and replace the car.Dont get another Mitsi.

arrithedog, Dec 12, 10:43am
Think that's a bit OTT, but I'd never have another GDI Mitsi. Old 80's Galant was a brilliant motor, as was the 90's V3000. Dion (GDI) . well that's another story LOL.

llortmt, Dec 12, 8:04pm
Why spend time when you can spend money!
I think I'd identify which cylinder has the misfire first!
With limited tools I'd then try to move the misfire to identify the faulty component, be it plug, coil pack or other.

kazbanz, Dec 13, 3:20am
Mon I'm betting that its got a really sooted up spark plug or two.

koozapets, Dec 14, 12:37pm
Well turns out all plugs worn, needed tune and service, coil was stuffed, but motor is getting very tired they say, time to either look at finding someone willing to trade, or just run it till it dies, has fantastic body and seems a shame to wreck it but the option of rebuilding the motor, at the said price, made me re think keeping it long term. So thank you for the helpful advise, it made me prepared for the cost,

gammelvind, Dec 15, 9:05pm
Presuming you have now had the work done and it is serviced, just drive it now till it dies or needs another service. Regardless of them saying the motor is tired, you may find that means you could get another 100,000 out of it, then $1 reserve it here and buy another car.

splinter67, Dec 15, 9:12pm
Best post in this thread