Car accident advise please

rats123, Dec 13, 8:50pm
Last Saturday a guy in a van hit my car from the back while I was at a junction. He accepted responsibility for the accident and we exchanged contact information etc. He said he'd contact his insurance company and get things sorted.

I texted him on Monday afternoon asking if he'd contacted his insurance company. He said he'd do it by the end of the week. I asked him to do this ASAP but did not hear back from him. This morning I texted him again but I have still not heard back.

I only have 3rd Party Insurance for my car. What can I do if I don't hear back from this guy!

jmma, Dec 13, 8:56pm
Contact your insurance company and give them all the details.

tazcsv, Dec 13, 8:58pm
You still need to contact your insurance company about it.

rats123, Dec 13, 9:16pm
I already contacted my insurance company. Since I only had 3rd party they told me it was over to the guy who caused the accident.

bitsy_boffin, Dec 13, 9:28pm
Do you know his insurance company!Contact them directly.

rats123, Dec 13, 9:32pm
No, unfortunately I don't.

hoarder85, Dec 13, 9:34pm
I would try the insurance company again. Yes it is third party insurance, but the least they could do is make a call for you to find out the details (or ring the guy that hit you).

ETA they can be real pricks about this sort of thing. They will do everything if the other party is uninsured, but nothing if the other party is insured. Crazy!

rats123, Dec 13, 9:39pm
Thanks for your advise. I'll try the insurance company again.

kenw1, Dec 13, 11:44pm
Have you reported it to the police! if not do so promptly, he may be unlicensed or something.

lookoutas, Dec 14, 4:44am
Check your policy - you should have a 3K cover on your 3rd Party, so long as you present the perf to your Insurer on a platter. Whether they're insured or not is not your problem, it's will become theirs.
Just tell your Co that you know about this, and want them to deal with it.
Mentioned above is right - they won't tell you the gen.

msigg, Dec 14, 4:45am
Well if its minor damage waste of time contacting your insurance company, now when they ask you have you had an accident when you pay your premium you will have to say yes so could have some effect in the future, get all his details, get a quote to fix and place a claim with the small claims tribunal. Or even easier find out where he lives and go see him with the qoute to see if he comes to the party, remember he will have to pay an excess so if its a small amout, under $1000 then he would be very dumb to claim on his insurace. All the best.

lookoutas, Dec 14, 4:48am
No - a 3rd Party claim won't go on your record as a black mark

marcos1, Dec 14, 4:57am
Lookoutas is correct rats123

msigg, Dec 14, 5:35am
Depends on whether they asked if "you have been involved in an accident", answer is yes, Was it your fault "No". Insurance is a must to have, hopefully the government will make it compulsory, Just these small claims are very annoying and always come at a cost, even costs you in time.

sw20, Dec 14, 6:05am
hopefully they don't.

I enjoy paying small premiums. Compulsory insurance = price hikes. What do I care if you don't have insurance and you hit my car! Not a whole lot, my car gets fixed at no cost to me and no excess, you get reamed with the bill.

arrithedog, Dec 14, 12:12pm
Apparently, the cost could go up by "as much as $50 a year" Well big flooping whoop ! thats nearly a dollar a week ! 14 cents a day. the big advantage of compulsory insurance (as in the UK and most other western countries) is it keeps young hoons out of stupidly fast cars, morons convicted of drink driving have almost un-affordable premiums, thus reducing the risk of re-offending, plus of other advantages and incentives to drive safely. Bring it into law as soon as possible !

aktow, Dec 14, 12:22pm
plus in theuk if you are caught driving with no insuranceyou car isimpounded.

hydraline, Dec 15, 5:23am
This aint the UK! This is godzone and you are allowed to drive around without insurance if you choose. You choice!If someone hits you and its not your fault ring the pigs and get the other party to admit its their problem and they are going to pay IN WRITING

sr2, Dec 15, 5:59am
Why would compulsory 3rd party insurance raise existing premiums when currently those of us who have full insurance are paying higher premiums to sponsor those who don??

jmma, Dec 15, 6:05am

sr2, Dec 15, 9:30am
Thanks for the link; I suspect the NZ Insurance Council has an ulterior motive with that argument. Don??

mitsilad, Dec 16, 3:34am
Lookoutas is wrong.The 3K section is where you are hit by an UNINSURED 'third party' who acknowledges that they caused the damage.Where the third party is insured it is totally up to rats123 to deal with the negligent driver and his insurance company.
His insurance company is not obliged to deal with rats123 until their client lodges a claim and nor can they force him to lodge a claim.
Lookoutas is right.A not at fault accident such as this will have no affect on your future insurability.

Do you have the guys address!Visit him and ask him to his face what he intends to do about the damage.

Obviously rats123's insurance company does not want to be involved.You need to take full cover if you want to have the insurance company working for you.