Landcruiser shudder

hfc2, Dec 17, 4:26pm
1991 4.2 auto landcruiser has a shudder on accleration at 65 to 70 kph, not there when you take foot off the gas. Better not be the trans cos just been fully reconditioned 9000k ago. Any thoughts! Motor has 250 000 k

mugenb20b, Dec 17, 6:15pm
Is there a shudder at any other speeds!

tazcsv, Dec 17, 9:09pm
Wheel balance maybe!

nzdoug, Dec 17, 9:25pm
Running gear like wheel bearings!

mm12345, Dec 17, 9:40pm
not wheel bearings/balance.OP reports that it's not there when he takes his foot off the gas.
It's probably either trans, or an engine misfire.Start with the cheap/easy stuff, plugs/leads etc.

andrewph, Dec 17, 11:01pm
Take it back to the mechanic who did the trans job. Get him to run it up at speed on the hoist with the wheels off the ground. It may be either low auto oil level torque converter failing or loose driveshaft joints or rear diff pinion nut. Even a worn sliding joint in the driveshaft. Get him to drop the rear end of the driveshaft and physically check the diff pinion nut. They do come loose with time and bearing wear. wheel balance or tyre delamination.

luke041, Dec 17, 11:12pm
lock-up clutch in the torque converter

kingfisher21, Dec 17, 11:26pm
Yup, as above, was the torque convertor rebuilt at the same time! I hope so.

hfc2, Dec 18, 6:23am
Thanks all.

hfc2, Dec 18, 6:26am
2no just 65 to 70 kph, bit bizarre as it just hapenned suddenly. Have to talk to transcare re torque converter. Cheers.

zephyrheaven, Dec 18, 8:24am
Take bonnet off
Trust me

I know a garage that 'spent' the customers money to the tune of about $9000 chasing a similar fault, doing up the trans / front diff et al - turned out to be an injector - very easy to see when the engine is rocking back & forth

Direct injection old 1HD-T's act very different at different road speeds to every other diesel - in a bus for instance, you would have picked the motor over the gearbox