Boat Motors and Pricing - 4 Stroke - Whats best?

nightboss, Dec 20, 12:52am
I have cut and pasted this thread started in TradeMe Discussions to this Motoring category. Hope you petrolheads can assist this member. NIGHTBOSS
PS: Merry Christmas to all.

Hello, I was looking for some solid advice. I am after a brand new engine for my boat and I am looking at a 60HP 4 Stroke ( for personal preference only I am not interested in 2 stroke ) but trying to find out what people recommend. Either Mercury, Suzuki, Evinrude, Yamaha or Honda! Thanks

Quoteorionbikes (410 )5:19 pm, Wed 19 Dec #1
4 Stroke = well done
time 2strokes were fazed out
go for a look around find out whats pop

Quotekevymtnz (106 )5:28 pm, Wed 19 Dec #2
I'd be going yamaha. Friend has one and it's never failed him.

Quoteshadow60 (3887 )5:40 pm, Wed 19 Dec #3
Suzuki has recently released a new range of four-stoke motors, with improved technology. I understand (though I could be wrong) that they are pretty much the benchmark, but they are not cheap. I have a direct injection 2-stroke Evinrude, and the economy is comparable to a four stroke, and the emissions are in fact lower. Plus the weight is significantly less.

Quotecountrypete (157 )1:27 pm, Thu 20 Dec #4

rsr72, Dec 20, 1:06am
What is the boat and length!
4 Strokes are heavier and can put a lot of extra weight on the transom.
Nothing wrong with a good reliable 2 Stroke up to 90hp, and easy to maintain.

elect70, Dec 20, 2:36am
Any american make, at least theydont becomeobsoletein 10 years & no longer able to get parts .Friend got all bits needed to restore1965johnson40 hpfromdealer. . Had suzuki& after 10 years dont want to know you ".NO parts available "