Oil Filters. Where is the oil filter you use made does it make a difference look on bottom of box last two well known makes are

Page 2 / 2
mugenb20b, Dec 23, 6:12am
Unfortunately, a lot of modern cars have cartridge oil filters which can be messy to replace.

unbeatabull, Dec 23, 6:18am
This. Oil filters don't actually reach optimum filtering ability until into about 50% of their service life.

gammelvind, Dec 23, 6:58am
For real, why on earth when those spin on ones are so simple.

unbeatabull, Dec 23, 7:02am
If they were full efficiency from new the material would be that fine it would get blocked up sooner and effectively half its life span. As the filter filters, it gets dirtier, and as that happens, less dirt is able to get through and it starts filtering better, but also gets more restrictive to oil flow. They obviously have found the correct balance to last its intended service life.

chris.f, Dec 23, 7:49am
Mainly because the weak point on a spin on oil filter is the sealing surface as the filter and it's casing is one unit. A cartridge filter having the casing bolting separately to the filter, enables more reliable sealing - simply put.

saxman99, Dec 23, 8:18am
Erm, what am I missing here. I have had cars with both types, without exception the cartridge type is the easier and cleaner one to deal with.The spin-ons always spill a little oil no matter how careful I am, the cartridges never do.They're in a little can on top of the engine that's easy to get to, and is empty once sump is drained; just take the top off, drop the new one in and put the top on again - couldn't be simpler.

gammelvind, Dec 23, 8:23am
Had a bit different experiece with them saxman99, hanging beside the block, unbolt cup still full of oil, half of it pees out all over the place. Always messy, but yes get a bit of spill from a spin on but nothing compared to my cartridge experiences.

saxman99, Dec 23, 8:27am
Fair enough, I guess I'm lucky with the ones I've dealt with.

00quattro00, Dec 23, 8:50am
Does it not have a drain plug!

panelvanner, Dec 23, 9:08am
They have them as they are *Ahem* More recyclable in the whole carbon credits/% of car able to be disposed of. For the environment.

gammelvind, Dec 23, 9:09am
Honestly can't remember now, had easy spin ons for so many years now.

petermcg, Dec 23, 9:12am
Anyone still use the adapter for the toilet paper.

cuda.340, Dec 23, 9:28am
the bogg roll was a by pass filter in it's day, don't know what uses a by pass filter these days

mugenb20b, Dec 23, 8:07pm
OK, try a Holden Astra or Mazda 6 for example, then report back. Sure, some are easy, like BMWs.

coolcort, Dec 23, 8:12pm
Hi again been after one of the toilet roll filter units for some time anyone got one to sell , a lot of different filters and quality out there !

unbeatabull, Dec 23, 9:45pm
And petrol Mondeo's that have the cartridge hanging down by the radiator. Easy enough to get to, but get a mess everywhere. And being plastic, the drain bung only lasts a few services before the thread is stuffed and starts leaking.

the-lada-dude, Dec 23, 10:00pm
buggar ! had one but think i tossed it , want it back now