Ford Territory 4 speed vs 6 speed

nats5, Dec 23, 6:43pm
Hi everyone.I am looking at purchasing a 6 speed territory.There are also 4 speed older models around. Is there much of a difference in fuel consumption and performance between a 4 speed or a 6 speed. Also the one we are looking at has had 20 inch alloys installed, which are bigger than the original wheels.How does this affect performance and the speedo in the vehicle, ie. do the size of the wheels affect the accuracy of the speedo!Many thanks.

3tomany, Dec 23, 7:00pm
i dont have a territory but changing from 4 speed coon to 6 speed the fuel consumption differance is massive we went from averaging 14 ltrs per 100 in 4 speed to 10.5 litres with six speed and with the 6 speed getting down as low as 7.8 on a trip

stevexc, Dec 23, 7:09pm
Are you talking about similar models though!I average 14 litrs per 100 city driving in my 1993 5.0 V8 Fairmont, I would expect much better from a modern falcon even with a 4 speed.

klrider, Dec 23, 7:26pm
x1
You get about an extra 1l per hundy out of a 6 speed, not to mention better re-sale and a far better gearbox.

lazzo, Dec 23, 8:05pm
From my experience with Falcon, I would have to say the 6 speed is FAR superior to the older 4 speed, no question.

clark20, Dec 23, 8:31pm
Having driven both get the 6 speed, much better. Economy is better.

Ohh and avoid the 20" wheels, I have just spent $3K on fixing wheels and new tyres, I should have stuck with my 19", better ride and less cost.

unbeatabull, Dec 23, 9:42pm
x1
Few things -

The 6 speed is far better. If you can afford it - get it.

Also, the 6 Speed is a later Gen territory - they fixed quite a few small niggly issues that the earlier gen Territories had - so you are getting a whole better vehicle.

Stay away from aftermarket wheels, particularly anything larger then 18" (which is factory titanium/Ghia fitment) it is harder on the wheel bearings, balljoints etc - that harder ride you feel when running bigger wheels is also harder on the suspension. Whenever there is a wheel bearing come in, you can guarantee they have aftermarket wheels. And its not a 5 minute job on them being AWD.

Size of wheels can be updated through a Ford dealer in the computer - you will need the ford computer (IDS) they can modify and enter in any tyre size & axle ratio to correct the speedo etc.

If you need a list of things to check on the Territory before buying, let me know. I work on them for a living so I know what is common, what to check etc to make sure you get the best for your money :)

nats5, Dec 25, 6:12pm
Thanks unbeatable and the others for your advice =)Yes, we are looking at 6 speed after reading your comments that hasn't had modified wheels.Yes please, it would be helpful to know what to look for if you could spare the time unbeatable.Many thanks all.

3tomany, Dec 25, 9:10pm
ba 4 speed and fg 6 speed basicly same motor, my travel includes towing and i live 1750 feet high up a twisting gravel roadso it is not an economical drive but the fg with six speed is bloody amazing on fuel economy

unbeatabull, Dec 26, 1:18am
Motor is actually rather different. They have the same Block, but that is about it. (Between BA and FG - the extra 30 odd Kilowatts & better fuel economy didn't come from thin air!)

Right things to look out for on Territories -

Mostly any Territory under 100k is generally pretty good, its once they get up over that 100k mark they start getting wear.

Mechanicals - check all balljoints, front and rear, check the Balljoint campaign has been carried out (Sticker on R/F A Pillar, should read R1101 on it - only applies to SX and SY I models, SY II have a different setup and didn't require the campaign). Check any knocks or squeaks on road tests. Common once they get up in mileage for the tailgate to rattle and for the suspension to 'knock' over bumps - Rear end is usually swaybar links, shock bushes, or trailing arm bushes, front end is usually the sway bar links.

As far as drive train goes, making sure it has regular coolant, brake fluid, engine oil, servicing etc. If above 90k make sure it has had its 90k/5 Year service, consists of Spark Plugs, Trans and Diff Oils (Trans oil is critical to be changed every 90 to 100k), fuel filter etc. Check for any hard start on a cold or hot morning, common for throttle body to get dirty around 100k as well (only takes 2 mins to clean). And check for oil leaks from the sump, P/S Pump, Fitting and hoses and P/S Rack.

Inside the car, just checking all the windows and window switches work fine and not notchy or noisy, and all doors open and lock/unlock fine. Also checking the R/F seat trim & seat base hasn't collapsed or squeak - usually if its had a "Heavy" owner/driver in the past it can cause things under the seat to break.

Other then that, just consumables/service items like brake pads, drivebelt conditions etc that you would get check at each service.

nats5, Dec 27, 12:31am
Thanks for your comprehensive list of details unbeatabull, much appreciated.The vehicle we are now looking at has done 153K, 2006 model, 6 speed, awd.Unfortunately it is in another island, ie. South, but is booked in for AA check tomorrow.What are our rights if something goes wrong!How long does a dealer have to guarantee a car for under consumer guarantee act!Does anyone know!

unbeatabull, Dec 27, 9:40pm
x1
Whereabouts in the SI is it!

AA is pretty known for not picking up necessities and picking up silly things that aren't faults. I could have a look at it for you if it is in CHCH.

nats5, Dec 28, 11:37pm
Thanks for your offer to inspect the vehicle.It is unfortunately in Nelson, but I really appreciate your offer.

mugenb20b, Dec 28, 11:42pm
What about those brittle $2000 ignition switches!

3tomany, Dec 29, 1:49am
fg only gained 8 kilowatts over ba the engine is excacly the same

unbeatabull, Dec 29, 2:28am
No. Only same thing is the Block. Cylinder head is different, camshafts, valves, porting etc is all different. Drive a BA and drive a FG - BIG difference. An FG I6 would just about beat a BA XR6 Turbo . The FG is rated at around 208kw compared to the 182kw in the BA.

(and whilst doing figures, BF got a boost to 190kw. The BA/F XR6T models had 240kw, whilst FG XR6T has 270kw, And the F6 has 310kw.)

The Ignition switches aren't that common - and there is a cheaper repair method then replacing the whole column through Ford.

vtecintegra, Dec 29, 2:31am
ford.co.nz says the current I6 is 195KW

unbeatabull, Dec 29, 2:32am
On 91 Fuel.

95 is 201kw and 98 is 208kw. (Can check on Wiki if you believe. Is also in the our workshop manuals and was covered in our new model training when the first were released.)

franc123, Dec 29, 2:37am
When you look at an FG level engine its clearly different from a BA, all the manifolding is different for a start, and thats just the most obvious external difference.

3tomany, Dec 29, 3:51am
the revisions to fg engine were to meet emmitions standards so you would expect the manifold to change and maybe some internal work on valves etc but the motor is basicly the same and i have freinds with a bf that is as good on gas as my fg

3tomany, Dec 29, 3:52am
wouldnt higher octane have the same benefit for ba

franc123, Dec 29, 4:40am
But not exactly the same as you stated earlier.

3tomany, Dec 29, 8:16pm
ok excuse my grammar. Revised to say "basicly" the same

unbeatabull, Dec 30, 2:33am
The KW I quoted for BA was on the highest octane.

A lot of it is to do with emissions - but these days a lot of the technology going into getting better emissions ALSO gets you better combustion efficiency, volumetric efficiency, cleaner fuel burning etc which ALL gives you extra Power as well.

About the only things the same between BA/BF and FG is the Block, Exhaust manifold, water pump, and the amount of valves it has.