Nissan SR18DE Engines Good Or Bad? Experts Please

Page 1 / 2
ema1, Dec 24, 8:13am
What are these Nissan engines like for faults and general reliability !
Late 1990's years.

carmad50, Dec 24, 8:20am
they were popular transplants untill something better came along then there scrappedgive up while youre ahead shop around and ask the driffters what s in there cars bro

mugenb20b, Dec 24, 8:49am
In theory, they are pretty good but given their age, too many have been neglected. If you hear any squeaking sounds from the rocker cover area, walk away. The same can be said if you see any sludge inside the oil filler cap. A slight rattle on start up is not unusual and isn't something to worry about. SR engines are not nice to work on, so might pay to check for any major oil leaks from the timing cover area.

tintop, Dec 24, 8:51am
Had a Pulsar SR-V 4wd with one of these engines.60,000k no problems

msigg, Dec 24, 8:58am
Yes good engine if serviced will out last the rest of the car, like all these engines the oil changes and new corrosion inhibitor is a must.

austingtir, Dec 24, 9:09am
They are good and can be had cheap and are actually quite underrated as everyone prefers to go for the 2.0ltr for obvious reasons, if you can fine one in good condition they are fine.

Mugen talks some rubbish this engine is basically the same as any other nissan sr they are simple to work on and parts are cheap anybody that cant work on one of these shouldnt go near any engine.

blinker69, Dec 24, 9:16am
213,000kms on my brother's primera wagon with the SR18DEand the car goes bloody well!Proper servicing is the key!

mugenb20b, Dec 24, 9:19am
Compared to what!

skull, Dec 24, 9:23am
Not a Mk 1 Cortina

rob_man, Dec 24, 9:26am
Or a Humber 90.

austingtir, Dec 24, 9:28am
Anything!Now i know a briggs and straton might be above your capabilities but its not for the rest of us.

mrfxit, Dec 24, 9:36am
The problem isn't with working on the SR series engines
What IS the problem, is how the engines are placed in the FWD cars.
They have very narrow gaps between the right side chassis rail (front end of engine) & the firewall.
It only gets worse with the AWD & turbo versions.

snoopy221, Dec 24, 9:37am
Tis not faults and reliability-tis imports and sludge.
Leading to blocked oil pick ups and camshaft oil feeds

mugenb20b, Dec 24, 9:39am
Yep.just as I suspected.you decided to come up with a BS answer.

snoopy221, Dec 24, 9:39am
It only gets worse with the AWD & turbo versions.
Meh once ya done a few starter motors on em ya juss cross ya eyes and ying ya yang and voila.
LOL

tintop, Dec 24, 9:41am
Like a triple jointed wrist to get at the oil filter!\

And the starter motor cannot even be seen let alone getting it out between the exhaust and the transfer case.

morrisman1, Dec 24, 11:05am
those later model engines (the low port model) have roller rockers and revised oiling system. They are more tolerant of neglect than the early ones I'm told. Good engines and would be among some of the more reliable made by any manufacturer

wizid, Dec 24, 7:40pm
dont bother . gutless gas gusslers

tigra, Dec 24, 7:55pm
Yeah. Replacing starter motors and engine mounts.which seem to be needed fairly often

dunedin_moto, Dec 24, 8:11pm
-2.7 for that great post.

mrfxit, Dec 24, 11:33pm
You CAN. slide the starter out through the right side steering rack hole without touching the exhaust.
(Hard right wheel turn & tie the steering wheel full lock/ drop steering rack arm off the hub) done with a twist of the starter
Tripple jointed rotational titanium tipped fingers with camera finger tips for undoing the power cables

mrfxit, Dec 24, 11:38pm
Done my time on RWD & FWD nissan 4 & straight 6cyl versions.
RWD easy peasy to work on, certain aspects of the FWD are a nightmare

austingtir, Dec 25, 1:06am
Yes they are a pain in the ass but its not complicated those are two different things.Iv owned all sr20 versions weather its front rear or four wheel drive.
One thing i will say is id never pay anyone to work on these cars all you tend to get is shit workmanship in my experience.That said there are good mechanics out there many years ago i used to use eurotech services in palmerston and the guy there Ian was very good as he'd worked on lancia intergrale's and stuff like in europe so was very clued up on how to handle things.

In my experience if your mechanic bitches and complains about working on these find another.

mugenb20b, Dec 25, 2:04am
So, I say "they are not nice to work on" and you tell me I'm full of it, and now you come up with the above comment.

mugenb20b, Dec 25, 2:07am
edited by johnf_456

Made a spelling mistake John!