Nissan SR18DE Engines Good Or Bad? Experts Please

Page 2 / 2
johnf_456, Dec 25, 2:59am
no need to name call, thanks.

And I have seen far worse than sr engines with some euro makes. They are not that bad as you make out

mugenb20b, Dec 25, 5:49am
Edited by johnf_456 again.

No need to name call! I didn't, but I'll call you what ever I like, thanks.

Can you name some of these Euros that are much worse to work on than the SR!

coolcort, Dec 25, 8:50am
Good motor use less fuel than 2 litre yea stuff on and around them is tight but same as 2L have done starter replacement on a 2L my daughter had is tight but can be done ok my 1.8 still fine at 215000 km just change oil & filter at regular times and can run to good kms

_dwat_, Dec 25, 9:07am
i have the sr18de gti pulsar, its great on gas, and tons of power on hand when need be, smokes plenty of other similar cars out there in their cc range

lilly105, Dec 25, 9:19am
Always ask for a "service history". I was told that the cam is oiled by drip feed and if they are not serviced everything gets clogged and the cam bearing can run dry.
Edited for REALLY bad english.

austingtir, Dec 25, 10:13am
Yes you are correct your are full of it.

austingtir, Dec 25, 10:15am
What kind of thing is that to ask!You could come up with a list a mile long of euro engines that are worse than SR's. proof again that you talk a load of rubbish.

austingtir, Dec 25, 10:24am
Well its a pressure feed from the pump so its not drip feed although it does "drop" down from the tube thats suspended over the cams.Its purely an oil change and oil type issue.If the head becomes varnished usually from not enough oil changes or incorrect oil type this is the usual end result.Usually the motors that have this issue will probably have hardly had any servicing at all probably just oil top offs hence why the old burnt out oil has deposited itself in the top of the head.ITs a very easy thing to spot all you need is a light and have a good look aroun in through the oil fill hole.These engines if the oil is changed reguarly with decent oil should be pretty clean up there.

This is an issue with japanese imports because some japanese knowing how reliable these are dont change the oil at all.I have dealt with an engine like this before sometimes they arent that bad and you can remove most of it by hand and then flush the motor as its usually only the head that gets gummed up but some are worse and the whole engines had it. pretty rare to get that bad though.

the-lada-dude, Dec 25, 7:56pm
this family of engines are known to be particularly dirty little brats, whether its incomplete combustion at or near the piston crown circumference, or compression leakage through the compression rings, i'm not sure. probably on a par with B&S engines though. advancing the intake cam seems to make em get up and go !

mugenb20b, Dec 25, 8:02pm
I'm talking rubbish! And yet, you and Johno have not come up with any examples of Euro engines that are more difficult to work on.

mugenb20b, Dec 25, 8:05pm
I see, you are still confused.

mrfxit, Dec 26, 12:01am
Got a 1990 VW Passet here & it's a TOTAL DREAM for room to work on.
Dang thing has enough room in the engine bay for a V6 or baby V8,but is running a 1.8Ltre 4cyl (looks like a Skoda motor)

00quattro00, Dec 26, 12:19am
They came with a vr6, 2.8l v6( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VR6_engine ) in them, yours will just have the old vw 8v from the 70's. I know a guy who has fitted an audi 4.2l 40v v8 into a polo,

wizid, Dec 26, 2:09am
its not in a bluebird or primera.

morrisman1, Dec 26, 3:22am
The pulsar GTi had better cams + tune than the bluebird and primera SR18DE engines.

lilly105, Dec 26, 6:03am
Just repeating what I was told, I am a girl so "car-things" are always sugar coated so I can understand them. I currently own my 4th Nissan, they are good cars so I would not fault them.