VW Passat 1.8t owners

Page 2 / 2
ryanm2, Dec 26, 7:05pm
The first thing to check is to find out what oil has been used. Anything but fully synthetic oil I would be a bit cautious. Listen for any strange noises from the air con compressor. Ensure the tranny engages when it should.
No reason to except any more maintenance than any other car.

mugenb20b, Dec 26, 7:07pm
Is that the one that has a thermostat behind the cambelt!

ryanm2, Dec 26, 7:10pm
quattro doesn't appear to actually know very much, the dude is just spitting out useless info the original post has nothing to do with.

mitsiboy69, Dec 26, 8:22pm
That sounds good but haven't seen any decent ones with low k's for less than 5-6k. I might go for the non turbo a4 1.8. It's only down 25hp on the 1.8t and then I don't have to worry about the 'oil sludge' drama. But if I can find a quattro 1.8t for under 4k id buy it.

desmodave, Dec 26, 9:49pm
I had a 2.4 30v i thought it went very well and oh so good on fuel. The good economy never seems to get much of a mention. I sold that A4 to a local couple 7 years ago and they are still very happy with it . It s never given them trouble even though it lives quite a few km away from a sealed road. I would have another that's for sure.

trdbzr, Dec 27, 1:52am
The 97-04 1.8 turbo engines suffered from sludge issues, it is a very common problem, so keep an eye out for that.

mitsiboy69, Dec 27, 3:11am
Yea what a nightmare. They say it's fine if fully synthetic oil is used but you can almost guarantee it hasn't been used at some stage of it's life.

gram, Dec 27, 3:11am
Only if some clown has used mineral oil in the motor. Use the specified synthetic and sludging won't be an issue.

gram, Dec 27, 3:16am
For a start the Audis use heavier guage steel in the guards, doors etc, thicker window glass, and a hell of a lot more sound dampening on the floor, firewall, doors etc. Better upholstery and headlining, etc.
Makes for a much quieter ride. You'd expect to get something for premium dollar eh.!