Holden 186 engine how to

toyboy3, Dec 28, 8:44am
identify whether the cylinder head is a high or low compression head

theram1, Dec 28, 8:49am

skull, Dec 28, 8:50am
I think back in that era there would often be an L or an H cast into the upper surface of the cylinder head, just have a look around outside the rocker cover. It's been a very long time since I've looked under the bonnet of one of those but there's plenty on here that are still familiar with those motors.

skull, Dec 28, 8:51am
Doh.too slow typing.

theram1, Dec 28, 8:54am
Loved my HR.

chebry, Dec 28, 7:34pm
Find a big valve 202 head I had one on a 192 it went like stink and could cruise at 145 all day in a HQ van

the-lada-dude, Dec 28, 7:59pm
don't be ridickulous!

splinter67, Dec 28, 8:11pm
No you weren't to slow you where giving an answer from experiencenot just doing the google thing

pnh4, Dec 28, 9:46pm
Whats the prob' a 202 head is the perfect option, low cost without major mods.

chebry, Dec 28, 9:50pm
You have never driven the endless miles of nothing in the backblocks of OZ numpty go soak you head ladaturd. Hammering along at WOT was quite normal for hours on end and that 192 went well X2 twinchoke inlet manifold big valve head with S type exhaust headers and 3.08 diff it cruised easily at 145. you dorks brought vup on Jappas know nothing about real cars especially you ladaturd time you joined the other trolls like belky

sr2, Dec 28, 10:03pm
Love those 186 red motors! It??

chebry, Dec 28, 10:17pm
Yeah one HQ van I wore out had a 186S block and 1 new retread the only thing the wreckers wanted it for was the crank and hard to find now

dave653, Dec 29, 9:56pm
I have a spare steel crank, 'S' cam, X2 twins (gunna use them while making another manifold for the SUs), and a 12 port head I'm tickling up. Steel cranks were available in all red motors upto 1967.
The 202 head is no different to other red heads.all valves were the same.
Your best bet would be to use a 161 or 173 head (with adjustable rocker gear)
ToyBoy3, there will be an 'H' or 'L' at the back, passenger side of your head. Unless you have a 149, where it will be towards the front. same side.