Kia sorento vs santa fe

Page 1 / 3
designerliving, Jan 1, 9:09pm
Thats nothing, i have been involved at a dealer level with Mercedes Benz refusing to pay out on a engine for a S600 that had spun out the number 1 main bearing and ejected it into the timing chain, damaging the crank sprocket and putting valves through pistons.

They flat out refused to cover it or offer any goodwill whatsoever and the customer was left to fund his own repair $172,000 for an engine in a 3 year old $300k + vehicle

So if your public distain foir Hyundai is as a result of their attitude towards a customer regarding a failure that was no fault of Hyundais then i take it you will include Mercedes Benz in any of your future smear campaigns or will you exclude that as it doesnt fit your agenda!

chebry, Jan 1, 9:15pm
Several manufacturers are hiding direct injection problems behind fancy new names that is just Dak Daks alphabet soup name

chebry, Jan 1, 9:19pm
There are still people stipid enough to fall for the German advertising of their alledged superiority and still purchase their overpriced junk.

rellerion, Jan 1, 9:20pm
I havent driven a kia sorento, but have a cerato. its a very nice car, low maintenance, and very similar to a corolla.
I work with santa fes all the time, and dont really like them. Id love to have a sorento though.
also, id never get a euro ever again.

thejazzpianoma, Jan 1, 9:20pm
LOL. the trolls have arrived!

rellerion, Jan 1, 9:21pm
orks. not trolls

thejazzpianoma, Jan 1, 9:24pm
Either way they are talking out their ring.

bmwnz, Jan 1, 9:28pm
To be fair, jazzpianoman is a zealot for the marques he loves. Although that's fair enough and he's completely entitled to his opinions, one needs to view everything he writes through a 'fanatics metaphor'. No offense intended, Jazz, but that's what you are - a zealot. The world needs zealots sometimes.

I've owned rather a lot of cars, including two Hyundai and many Euro cars. In my opinion, there are very few cars which I would consider to be rubbish these days. To say that one is better than others might well be true, but so what! Not everyone wants another's 'best' of anything.

designerliving, Jan 1, 9:41pm
Jazz likes to make a quiet exit when he runs out of facts to google or reviews to recite. Its not hard to see he has very little real world experience with any of the products he rates, just sucked in by whoever's review hes reading at the time, a victim of his own despise someone sucked into the marketing PR machine

mugenb20b, Jan 1, 10:15pm
Thanks for explaining that Jazz, I see where you're coming from.

DSG has its advantages, buy Hyundai does have 6 speed autos in their newish vehicles, which I think do the job just fine despite their lack of innovation. And I thought that Santa Fe has a 5 star ANCAP rating (!). I am yet to drive another 4 cylinder diesel that could match its performance, it really took me by surprise at its smooth, even power delivery, no flat spots, and like I said, it's plain auto suits it just fine.

I appreciate your input Jazz, I haven't had a chance to drive the Yeti, but when I do,I'll see how it compares to the Santa Fe.

thejazzpianoma, Jan 1, 11:14pm
I always appreciate your criticism because its generally fair and logical.

You are quite right 6 gears are a lot better than 4.

However, that only solves some of the problems of a regular auto, you are still left with:

* Considerably more fuel consumption mostly due to the old fashioned torque converter (without looking it up I seem to recall something like 1.5l/100km extra). Yet the Santa Fe is really no quicker.

* Poor engine braking (a particular disadvantage when towing)

* Increased service costs - this one is quite notable given that they are towing. We expect the larger Yeti will have the 7 speed dry clutch DSG which truely is a maintenance free transmission (which will last unlike regular auto's with the same claim). Given the OP is towing regularly they should really be servicing the regular auto every other year at least, at a significant cost, in a town that likely has no dealership. If it does happen to have the wet clutch version, servicing is still easier (can be done at home even, very similar to an engine oil change).

If it wasn't for the considerable extra purchase cost of the Hyundai I would probably be more forgiving of its transmission. I just don't see why you would pay so much more for a car that just offers a little bit less in most aspects.

BTW, the new Santa Fe is a 5 star car, but that isn't available in NZ yet as far as I am aware and is not the model the OP is considering. If they are prepared to wait, then fair enough they can have a safer version.

I think its worth pointing out too, in countries other than NZ where Hyundai's are priced more relative to what they offer, they are likely a very good buy. In NZ though, where they are demanding as much or more than the very best in the class premium options, they simply don't make logical sense from a financial perspective.

Thanks for the response!

thejazzpianoma, Jan 1, 11:14pm
I always appreciate your criticism because its generally fair and logical.

You are quite right 6 gears is a big improvement over the 4 in some Hyundai's.

However, more gears only improves the situation, because its still a traditional auto you are left with:

* Considerably more fuel consumption mostly due to the old fashioned torque converter (without looking it up I seem to recall something like 1.5l/100km extra). Yet the Santa Fe is really no quicker.

* Poor engine braking (a particular disadvantage when towing)

* Increased service costs and hassle - this one is quite notable given that they are towing and live in a small town. We expect the larger Yeti will have the 7 speed dry clutch DSG which truely is a maintenance free transmission (which will last, unlike regular auto's with the same claim). Given the OP is towing regularly they should really be servicing the regular auto every other year at least, at a significant cost, in a town that likely has no dealership. If it does happen to have the wet clutch version, servicing is still easier (can be done at home even, very similar to an engine oil change).

If it wasn't for the considerable extra purchase cost of the Hyundai I would probably be more forgiving of its transmission. I just don't see why you would pay so much more for a car that just offers a little bit less of everything right accross the board.

BTW, the new Santa Fe is a 5 star car, but that isn't available in NZ yet as far as I am aware and is not the model the OP is considering. If they are prepared to wait, then fair enough they can have a safer version. But if you are waiting, why not just buy the big Yeti as it will likely arrive about the same time!

I think its worth pointing out too, in countries other than NZ where Hyundai's are priced more relative to what they offer, they are likely a very good buy. In NZ though, where they are demanding as much or more than the very best in the class premium options, they simply don't make logical sense from a financial perspective.

Thanks for the response!

leechie, Jan 1, 11:16pm
I usually listen t what you have to say Jazz,
However , I work for Kia and you dont know what the hell youre talking about. Your painting of all korean dealers with the same brush after one example of poor service by a single Hyundai representative is ignorant.
The new Sorento is a fantastic car with a huge amount of torque , power and features.
Go take you one sided opinions somewhere else.
You wont see any real enthusiast be so biased toward one type of vehicle.

thejazzpianoma, Jan 1, 11:19pm
I'm sorry, is there another "Hyundai NZ"!
It was the importers representative whom I saw on T.V being arrogant and unsupportive. Just like Ateco being completely useless with Fiat/Alfa, ultimately it doesn't matter how good the dealer is, if the Importer is not up to scratch you can still wind up in trouble.

I am biased to the best vehicle in its class, its not my fault if one manufacturer is investing considerably more and producing a better product more often than others. I am not the only one with this view either, jump on the net and see what motoring writers have to say about the Yeti.

leechie, Jan 1, 11:22pm
So what! thats one person. There is a Kia motors NZ who are completely separate from Hyundai.
Your insinuation that buying a Korean car = poor service is nonsense and slander.
please apologize immediately.

leechie, Jan 1, 11:23pm
Out of interest, have you driven the XM sorento facelift!

thejazzpianoma, Jan 1, 11:24pm
No, I made it quite clear that it was Hyundai I was talking about that I had seen on T.V.

It was not one case either, we had another person appear on these very boards with much the same expensive failure with the same Hyundai engine and they too were being charged absurd amounts to fix it.

leechie, Jan 1, 11:29pm
Well Kia Nz have a history of coming to the party on major engine failures that occurred out side of warranty on the gq carnival.
In fact I cant remember any warranty claim being turned down by KMNZ when the service history has been up to date, and even then theyre still pretty good about it.

tagjpaul, Dec 30, 4:31am
need to replace our family wagon (2003 prado been great wagon) and cant decide between these 2. i guess they very similar really also what about volvo xc90 diesel probably only afford 2010 model. need it tow and have 7 seats but not too big that bitch to park for missus what u reckon!

lazzo, Dec 30, 5:04am
If I had to choose between the two Koreans I would go for Santa Fe, but personally for that sort of money I would be hunting for something a bit better as near new or a demo model.

I would be looking at:

Ford Territory
Mitsubishi Pajero
Toyota Prado

And you could also look at 2010 VW Tourag for that sort of money too!

mugenb20b, Dec 30, 5:12am
SantaFe diesel is a brilliant machine.

lazzo, Dec 30, 5:26am
Also remember, the new model Santa Fe is just around the corner.

msigg, Dec 30, 5:31am
Yea as above santa fe looks great.

pickles26, Dec 30, 6:57am
top end kia sorento tends to have more features for the same price. samer series engine. nicer interior

thejazzpianoma, Dec 30, 7:25am
You would have to be certifiable to buy a Hyundai or Kia (Hyundai in disguise) when for the same money you could have the Volvo or VW Touareg. To buy one of the Korean's would be like paying for a nice meal and then choosing to eat out of the garbage.