Oil where it shouldn't be

Page 1 / 2
1grasshopper, Dec 30, 5:29am
Our car, Toyota Progres, engine 2JZGE, had a small misfire so we went to change the spark plugs, one of the plugs is covered in oil and there was a tiny bit of fresh oil inside the throttle body, is this caused by the same thing!And is it just the rocker cover gasket or something more major!

pebbles61, Dec 30, 5:31am
Worn piston ring!

morrisman1, Dec 30, 5:32am
spark plugs is probably the rocker cover gasket. Oil in the throttle body could just be from the crankcase breather, they often vent into the intake before the throttle body. if you take off the oil cap with it running and there is a heap of air coming out then you might have a bit of blow-by (stuffed rings)

pebbles61, Dec 30, 5:34am
When you say the plug is covered in oil, do you mean the firing end or the end sticking out of the cylinder head!

If it's the latter then it could the rocker cover (or cam cover for you modern flash people) as Morrisman pointed out.

intrade, Dec 30, 5:34am
its nothing to do with the rocker cover. its either got a worn valvestem seal or the piston-oilcontroll ring is gone would show low compression if its the ring on that cilinder = throwaway engine.

intrade, Dec 30, 5:35am
thats crutual too as i talk about the inside spark side of the plug

morrisman1, Dec 30, 5:36am
intrade, just hold your horses until pebble's question is answered.

morrisman1, Dec 30, 5:37am
we are all posting at once haha

1grasshopper, Dec 30, 5:37am
Just asked my partner which part of the plug, its the thread bit, the firing end is black and sooty

pebbles61, Dec 30, 5:39am
sooty and oily aren't the same.

Sooty sounds like it's running too rich, oily suggests it's a worn piston ring. Well to me at least.

llortmt, Dec 30, 5:39am
Cam cover gasket then

pebbles61, Dec 30, 6:00am
Is there any oil on the cylinder head! can you see it leaking! If so, rocker cover gasket, which isn't a major.

intrade, Dec 30, 6:08am
firing end has nothing to do with what rocker cam gasket its inside the engine and we need to know more about the sooth. if its oily or not as per above

intrade, Dec 30, 6:10am
http://www.gnttype.org/techarea/engine/plugs.html
what picture thats the firing end

llortmt, Dec 30, 6:15am
For god sake intrade the spark plug tube seals on the rocker covers are always leaking on these, covering the ceramic of the plug and then the thread with oil when removed.
Oil leaking onto the cylinder head has NOTHING to do with the situation/problem.

intrade, Dec 30, 6:20am
its why i posted the pictures so they can say if its not this side of the plug on the actual electrode oil and sooth wont leak in to the inside of the plugelectrode insulator , so if its in there then its from the internal of the engine

llortmt, Dec 30, 6:28am
So the thread is covered in oil the electrode is black and sooty, as I said cam cover /spark plug tube seals.

llortmt, Dec 30, 7:11am
Ok now I'm confused wheres the oil!

jmma, Dec 30, 7:19am
I guess you mean the darkening on the white insulator !
How many Kms has the vehicle done!

llortmt, Dec 30, 7:21am
That's kind of what I thought, they've wiped the rest off no doubt.

intrade, Dec 30, 7:26am
that sparkplug is poked look at how burned it is on the insulator. Otherwise i dont see anything on the electrode so throw em in the bin and get new ones and be prepaired they are about 27$ each i would get ngk

intrade, Dec 30, 7:32am
otherwise there is no fault with the engine the plug looks normal its just well past its used by date. be oil from the top as others said . you might want to see if your leads and distributor cap rotor need change also if this engine has that.

1grasshopper, Dec 30, 8:26am
Its a bad photo, but the oil is all over the white bit, its light orange colour, most of it is by the writing.

Do we get iridium plugs or platnium!The car has done 97,000km.The leads seem fine but one of the coils also has oil on it, should we replace that also or just wipe it clean!

morrisman1, Dec 30, 8:28am
last toyota I worked on, I pulled the ignition lead out and it may have well been the oil dipstick, it came out soaked. Now that was a leaking rocker gasket.

intrade, Dec 30, 8:43am
you got coils straight on plugs! the coil only gets replaced when it fails , I would just get irridium ngk the right ones . partsmaster should have em ask for trade discount .