CHECK ENGINE LIGHT ON. IS IT TERMINAL?

Page 1 / 2
shazbat, Jan 2, 4:52am
The "check engine" light stays on on a mitsi I just looked at. Has apparently been doing so for 2 years or so. Is this a serious issue! seems to go ok, apparently auto electrician told seller to take the bulb out ! Will this prevent it getting a WOF! Thank you.

intrade, Jan 2, 4:55am
what is the mitshsihitzi exactly! a GDI!

shazbat, Jan 2, 4:57am
V6 wagon, early 90's. Not GDI

nz2293, Jan 2, 5:02am
is it a mivec engine

lazzo, Jan 2, 5:07am
If its a V6 wagon from the early 90's it must be either a V3000, Magna or Diamante, none of which had either GDi or Mivec engines in a wagon.

And no, very unlikely to be terminal.

shazbat, Jan 2, 5:17am
V3000 185,000km otherwise seems fine.

lazzo, Jan 2, 5:24am
I shouldn't think you have anything to be concerned about, especially given you're looking at a car now over 20 years old. They're a good cheap old wagon.

shazbat, Jan 2, 5:26am
So it won't affect WOF !

lazzo, Jan 2, 5:29am
That is outside my area of expertise!. but i don't think so!

Calling all WOF inspectors!.

pickles26, Jan 2, 5:33am
check engine light is not a woff item

cowboy110, Jan 2, 5:38am
My guess is that after "2 years or so" of the check engine light being on it is neither terminal nor a WOF issue.

nzdoug, Jan 2, 5:42am
The oil light just might mean the engines stuffed.
No problem.

mugenb20b, Jan 2, 5:43am
1. No, but you should get it looked at.
2. That's what I would do if I was going to sell the car.
3. No.

mugenb20b, Jan 2, 5:46am
No, that could mean a few things.

1. Faulty oil pressure switch.
2. Low oil level.
3. Low oil pressure.

If the oil light was on for 2 years, I doubt the engine would be stuffed.

shazbat, Jan 2, 6:36am
No, oil light not on. Just the "check engine" light.

lazzo, Jan 2, 6:39am
Could be as simple as a faulty sensor, just drive it until its served its purpose or doesn't want to go anymore, I wouldn't be worrying about it.

franc123, Jan 2, 6:39am
Someone is trying to make their problem your problem, I wouldn't believe that story. Move on.

lazzo, Jan 2, 6:56am
I don't think there will be too many cheap 20+ year old cars out there that don't have issues.

franc123, Jan 2, 7:20am
Still not particularly wise to buy something that has got an engine management issue, you'd be wanting a better explanation of the problem than whats been given. But hey if people want to blow their money on something that they knew was faulty then go ahead.

shazbat, Jan 2, 10:17am
OK, so it's not cheap, not a popular model, and I'm not mechanically inclined. So I take on board your comments and will walk away. Thank you all you knowledgeable peops.

theram1, Jan 2, 10:20am
nanu nanu

lugee, Jan 3, 3:58am
The funny thing about check engine lights is that they make a big fuss about benign things like a oxy sensor that went out of range for a split second, but won't tell you that a rod is about to go through the block.

franc123, Jan 3, 8:20am
They make a big fuss because they are required to in some places.In emissionally anal places like California its actually an offence to operate a vehicle with certain types of engine management problems.We will one day live in a world where electronics will be able to completely compensate for thestupidness, ignorance and neglect of drivers towards their machinery but it hasn't happened yet.

kokako14, Jan 3, 8:49am
Could always reconnect the speedo. That will make it go out

arrithedog, Jan 3, 10:20am
! Surely if the speedo was disconnected it wouldn't work! OP didn't say speedo not working.