Trojan LED trailer lights.

rsr72, Jan 2, 11:28pm
Has anyone had any problems with these on boat trailers and water getting inside them! They are meant to be submersible.
Having to replace my 4 year old trailer lights as groups of the LED's have failed probably due to salt water getting into them.

rsr72, Jan 2, 11:28pm
Has anyone had any problems with these on boat trailers and water getting inside them! They are meant to be submersible.
Having to replace my expensive 4 year old trailer lights as groups of the LED's have failed probably due to salt water and condensation affecting them.

a.woodrow, Jan 3, 12:15am
Have you pulled them apart and found corrosion! or just assumed that is the problem

pickles26, Jan 3, 12:42am
earlier ones had problems with water in through the cables especially if you cut the wiring off short

rsr72, Jan 3, 3:40am
Can't pull them apart as they are resin 'sealed'. Have used the incorporated 5 metre cable and no joins.
Of the 20 Stop/Park LED group only 4 are lighting up correctly, another 5 are only dim, and 11 are completely out.
Can only assume there is salt water leaking and/or condensation where cables pass through the sealing around the backs of the LED's and causing possible corrosion.
The housings fill with water which drain holes should allow out but I fail to understand why the complete units aren't made watertight.
It's a nuisance having to fork out another $170 for another pair after only 4 year's use when they're advertised as 'submersible'.

theram1, Jan 3, 4:11am
My dad had a set of tail lights that were mounted on a board that attached to the boat when towing. Not as convenient as trailer mounted, but did not buggers up like those you have.

beart0y, Jan 3, 4:24am
Buy a set of NARVA ones. I have used many sets and never had a problem. Mates have had Trojan and )-:

blue35, Jan 3, 4:43am
I have seen many fail, take the resin/LED assembly out off the grey housing, you will probably find air bubbles in the resin at the rear which lets the water in, this is what I have found in the past.

zak1998, Jan 3, 10:25am

gabbysnana, Jan 3, 8:14pm
Fully submersible

thejazzpianoma, Jan 3, 8:25pm
You have probably considered this but what about a $40 set of non-submersible ones and spend the rest making up some stalks to keep them out of the water!

Also, 4 years is pushing it a bit but if your new ones fail sooner than that I would be tempted to have a go under the CGA, these things should last a fair amount of time, especially as you are paying so much extra to be submersible.

thejazzpianoma, Jan 3, 8:25pm
You have probably considered this but what about a $40 set of non-submersible ones and spend the rest making up some stalks to keep them out of the water!

Also, 4 years is pushing it a bit but if your new ones fail sooner than that I would be tempted to have a go under the CGA, these things should last a fair amount of time, especially as you are paying so much extra to be submersible.

I have also noticed some that ship from Australia, fully submersible, 5 year warranty approx $70 NZD delivered.

bwg11, Jan 3, 8:52pm
I had a complete set of LED lights replaced with a different brand under warranty after 1 season, Watercraft Trailers Christchurch supplied the trailer originally and replacement lights. Excellent people to deal with,

rsr72, Jan 4, 2:51am
#10- They should last many years if they were properly designed in the first place. They were just a bad design by Trojan and probably in a rush to have gotten LED's early into the market at that time.
The point that annoys me is that they were advertised as 'submersible' although the casing and lens had drainage holes for flooding. With practically no sealing at all in them, nor any form of sealing supplied, they failed.
Have replaced them this morning with a set of NARVA properly fully sealed LED trailer lights. They have no holes for salt water entry and drainage, have external mounting holes, and are completely sealed including a base gasket.