Iridium Spark Plug Setting - AUIII Falcon

jeannine8, Jan 5, 4:34am
help!pulled plugs out of AU falcon and they're Iridium ones. gap seems abnormally huge. what should gap be on these please!thanks :)

meathead_timaru, Jan 5, 5:09am
NGK IGR5C13 plugs! 1.3mm. The 13 at the end indicates that they're pre-gapped to that.

jeannine8, Jan 5, 5:14am
-11.so I took a punt and i've set to 1.1.that'd be right! thanks heaps meathead.:)

intrade, Jan 5, 5:14am
dont mess with it they last its time 75000km is the rated milage for ngk irridium. i have had to change some at over 100,000km. there wont by any sign of wear its when they start failing you replace them or as per milage recorded.

jason18, Jan 5, 5:15am
Are all falcons iridium! I have a 99 AU

jeannine8, Jan 5, 5:16am
i'm thinking they may be failing then. bit of wear down one side of the 3rd to 6th plugs. idling a bit rougher than normal.brand new but shitty motogard leads. possibly them but more likely plugs are giving up with the blackening and small enamel loss on top of 3rd plug! thanks intrade.

jeannine8, Jan 5, 5:19am
i've only ever had old skool falcons and always used and swore by Champion Golds.Have never seen an Iridium before today. first one i pulled out i thought the tip had snapped.lol

jeannine8, Jan 5, 5:20am
Just found this online:
Series 1/2 (98-00) use: NGK BRR5EY-11 or BPR5EIX-11 iridium type.
Series 1/2 (98-00 on gas) use: NGK BPR6EY (0.8mm gap) or BPR6EIX (0.8mm gap) iridium type.
Series 3 (01-02) use: NGK IGR5C13

Irridium tip plugs generally last 3-4 times longer than ordinary plugs but at nearly $25 a pop, they can be a bit expensive in one go. So really you're paying the same as what you would for ordinary plugs if you replaced them in the same time frame plus you get a 'slight' performance increase. Just be sure to give the irridium plugs a bit of a twist every oil change so they don't become 'one' with the head.

You shouldn't need to gap the plugs, the -11 in the NGK part number is refering to the gap size (-11 being 1.1mm, -15 being 1.5 so on and so forth). If there is no number at the end of the letter sequence it will be a 'standard' 0.8mm gap, best used with boosted and gas applications. BUT you can use these plugs if the store doesn't have the 1.1mm plugs, just get a set of feeler gauges and adjust the electrode on the plug untill it measures 1.1mm, simple.

intrade, Jan 5, 5:21am
replace all leads dizzi rotor if its got that. these parts make rough running . plus rooted leads will nuke your ignition chip

jeannine8, Jan 5, 5:23am
hadn't even thought of rotor. just figured it wouldn't have one. (oops). thanks again. will go check that out now.

intrade, Jan 5, 5:25am
dont know if its got one but you just look if it has a dizzy cap then it will have a rotor

franc123, Jan 5, 5:30am
Iridiums were fitted ex factory partway into the series 2 production, about the end of 2000 IIRC, they were supposed to last 150K.You don't have to run them if you don't want to, the standard plug fitted to S1's and early 2's will work OK, obviously it then requires a 45K change interval.

brokebloke1, Jan 5, 5:54am
they dont have a rotor just a coil pack that is in the worst place Ford could put it . directly under the intake mainfold, if you changing plugs you should also do the leads.
I did mine on our AU2 XR6 took me about 1 hour to do it, its tricky to do plug leads onto coil pack plenty of patenice is required

jeannine8, Jan 5, 6:44am
i'm wondering if these may be the original factory ones then. i'm at around 180,000km and they're pretty knackered.thanks heaps for the info.awesome.(not looking forward to that job brokebloke. i'm not known for my patience) :)

mrfxit, Jan 5, 7:03am
Could NEVER ever understand the logic in putting an ign coil in 1 of the most inhospitable & inaccessible places you can in an engine bay thats highly prone to heat/ dust & vibration.

clark20, Jan 5, 9:19am
My Commodore ones are rated for 90K, I don't think they would make 180k, so maybe its the 2nd set