Compact suv

hpersa, Jan 12, 4:52pm
Hi. We're looking at buying a medium sized suv and I'm wondering if you guys have any suggestions.
We've been looking towards the new cr-v and Tiguan.
Would anyone recommend the Hyundai and Kia !
Thankyou

oakie, Jan 12, 7:50pm
Hyundai Tucson or Kia Sportage are good reliable cars these days. the V6 Tucson is very hungry on fuel but the 4 cylinders are fine. Kia Sportage turbo diesel are great and quite powerful. I know they will do 330,000kms plus without mechanical problems if serviced properly.servicing costs for the diesel can be a little more than petrol but on trips they get as low as 5.5 to 6.0 litres per 100 kms as per trip computer. the Ford Escape has had bad write-ups!. drive them all before making a decision. good luck

msigg, Jan 12, 9:24pm
A santa fe is a great machine, Bigger than the tiguan and slightly bigger than the crv,Otherwise there is the captiva, just take some for a test drive and see what ones you feel you like the most. They should all be good being late model, The Vw tiguanwill be the most complicated as electrics go, good if no problems arise, Crv is well proven Hyundai is huge in Aussie and up and coming in a big way here. There are others as well, Mazda, Nissan x-trail etc. Plenty to look at.

thejazzpianoma, Jan 12, 9:49pm
The Tiguan and its Skoda cousin the Yet are by far the best IMO.
The Skoda has not only be reveled as the best in its class by many motoring journalists but also best car full stop by some as well. Praise dosn't come much higher than that.

The Korean's have got better but they are still not in the same league, if for some bizarre reason I had to choose a Korean one it would be the Kia because despite being a Hyundai in disguise the Kia apparently has a different importer. Have a google of the Hyundai importer on fair go, nasty piece of work trying to wipe their hands of a 3 year old car sold to an elderly gentleman that had catastrophic engine failure. Not the first of those Hyundai's I have come across with similar failures either. although in fairness an older model now.

Be aware that Hyundai seems to be the "Fasion" brand at the moment, heavy marketing and being about the only car with a favorable writeup from that ignoramus who writes the Dog and Lemon seems to have pushed them to a tipping point, like happened with Daewoo back when they were introduced and popular. While they are finally starting to get a little bit of substance behind the previously empty hype they are still not worthy of the inflated price they demand in NZ.

So yes, check the Yeti out as well, drive its 1.2 petrol option for comparative purposes, might be a better option than the Tiguan if you wanted to spend a little bit less, otherwise similar, both being a VW product built on the same platfrom.

VW's DSG transmission and brilliant 2.0 Diesel and TSI petrol engines are quite simply unsurpassed. Power, economy, low maintenance and reliability are brilliant.

jhw2, Jan 12, 10:10pm
I'm a European car fan too, but as a medium SUV I think I'd go for the Mazda CX5

hpersa, Jan 13, 4:43am
I liked the Tiguan but I have heard some people say don't buy VW because it would end up costing a lot.
I looking to buy new and the reason I thought about the Koreans were because of the long warranties.

taurus61, Jan 13, 5:10am
I have a Tiguan TDI purchased new November 2011. As it came from the factory there have been no issuess. It has 15000km service intervals so nothing too costly there and with my normal use I get around 6.5l/100km so again nothing to costly there also.
I have however had issue with work completed in New Zealand, tow bar was wired incorrectly and did not react correctly with reversing sensors and also kept flattening the battery. Also the New Zealand supplied reverseing camera has had ongoing issues. If wanting these option insisted they come fitted from the factory.
I have had a number of midsize SUV's and the Tiguan would be the most car like handling and drive. The Freelander 2 would be a close second. The KJ Cherokee gave the best off road performance but as 95% of my driving is on road could not warrent the compromise. I know it is hardly a far comparrison but the old Toyota Surf would have to be the most truck like but for the time was acceptable.
The mid size SUV market is huge at a rough count I came up with more than 24 ranging in price from 32k for a suzuki vitarra to 80k for an entry level Evoque.
Maybe an idea of you budget and use would help with makeing suggestions.

msigg, Jan 13, 5:58am
Yes well if its new any of them will be covered for the first 100,000km, so no problems, the problems are with the next lot of kms which is not covered, most problems in all of them could be electricalor transmission which is expensive.

hpersa, Jan 17, 3:40pm
I'm wanting to go look at the cars and I'm wondering if anyone has some tips on buying new cars. This will be the first time I buy a new car.