Car not starting help -- battery or something else

traybon, Jan 10, 8:30pm
Hi went to go out yesterday and my car turned over but didnt start, after a few tries got worse so left it for about half an hour. When I tried again it started so was all happy thinking all fixed. Went to drive it last night and same thing happened although started on about 3rd attempt. It sounds like flat battery but am assuming its not as I guess it would need charging not just start. What could this be! I know prob gotta put it into the mechanics but pretty skint after xmas so any help appreciated cheers

traybon, Jan 10, 8:39pm
okay how do I do that! take it somewhere! If not battery which faults do I check next. I am a lady, so dont know much about cars (if anything lol) and very hard to have unreliable car

tazcsv, Jan 10, 10:04pm
I had the same problem in my subaru, put a new battery in and all went well for a couple of days then it started again, it was the starter motor causing the sluggish turn over, $10 new brushes and it starts great.

tmenz, Jan 10, 10:16pm
Check that the battery terminal connections are clean and tight!

muzzaandmich, Jan 11, 2:48am
My l
Old car wouldn't start so jumped started drove from picton to ChCh
Left it over night again refused to fire up
Rang AA they checked alternator and load test on batt told batt ok
Refused to start again .

SOLUTION.Brought new. Battery. Al ok
So the experts can be wrong sometimes too .

traybon, Jan 13, 8:21am
still playing up, doesnt like starting first thing but if I start it early then again when I go out starts first time eg leaving supermarket, mall etc, very weird, thanks for the ideas

pete_iam, Jan 13, 8:41am
glow plugs! what sort of car is it!

traybon, Jan 13, 8:00pm
its a ford festiva 1996, cheers

supernova2, Jan 13, 9:07pm
96 makes it 16/17 years old so assuming a battery last about 5 years it is pretty likely that the battery is on its last legs.Time for a visit to a auto electrician for proper testing.

traybon, Jan 16, 4:29am
update -- it was the battery -- well had the battery replaced yesterday and no problems yet -- fingers crossed and thanks for the help

pickles26, Jan 16, 4:34am
Aa and experts should not be in the same sentence. Op take it to a auto electrician should only take them a mins to diagnose

meathead_timaru, Jan 16, 8:02pm
That could have simply been a poor terminal connection.