Lotus bighorn suspension difference

geminidragon, Jan 21, 10:36pm
are these suspensions different or the same if so what parts are upgradable to a standard 96 bighorn ,not happy with mine yet it passed a wof and has good shocks

andy61, Jan 21, 10:49pm
What are the tryes like! if unevenly worn,nothing will improve until you have decent(evenly worn across the tyre)tyres,Bighorns never were a fine handling vehicle to drive.

geminidragon, Jan 21, 11:07pm
4 tyres brand new 3 months ago all the same brand

carkitter, Jan 22, 2:36am
Isuzu is part of General Motors and for a while back in the 80's - 90's Lotus was owned by GM too. Lotus had a name for making good handling sports cars and was at the forefront of the development of computer controlled (active) suspension. Isuzu gained a reputation for producing poor handling vehicles such as the Isuzu (and Holden) Piazza sports coupe. Isuzu went to Lotus for help, hence the badges on the Bighorns.

I don't know the details of the changes Lotus made but they would probably be substantial as Lotus tended to delve deep into the modification process and not do anything by halves. Top Gear gave them a challenge to upgrade a Lada sedan and they spent GBP100,000 on it.

I wouldn't bother sourcing Lotus bits, just buy a newer truck. Bighorn is old-tech now.

geminidragon, Jan 22, 4:12am
our truck is all we have and going great with over $6000 in repairs done and fully serviced i think we really need to keep it

geminidragon, Jan 22, 4:13am
not in a position to upgrade yet but point taken

geminidragon, Jan 22, 4:14am
they would have been second hand suspension parts i thought that might have bolted on like safari for instance put on the steering damper

grangies, Jan 22, 4:20am
What are you unhappy about!

As in, what part of the ride is making you unhappy.!

kazbanz, Jan 22, 7:42pm
Geminidragon. Heres the thing. Its a 1996 truck so its now more or less 17 years old now. How good /bad or indifferent the suspension was 17 years ago really has little to do with how it is now.
Its more about how hard the truck has been working (suspension wise)
Ive driven a fair few bighorns and the best ONROAD handling trucks you wouldn't pick by looking at the outside of them or at a badge saying its model.
If it was me I'd invest in a new set of reasonable NEW suspenders.
I'd get all the sway bar bushes. Link bushes etc replaced.
I'd make sure that theyres fitted are the best set up foryour truck for handling

sr2, Jan 22, 9:10pm
I have a good friend with a similar vintage Bighorn Lotus that we use for boat launching duties, trailer towing, beach trips and the usual ???lets not ruin the good car??? duties. For what it is it??

geminidragon, Jan 22, 10:32pm
fair comment i just thought i could look at a lotus one and compare and poss change aa couple of simple things may i add its dome 328000 ks

geminidragon, Jan 23, 6:24pm
maybe they can be improved by larger front and rear swaybar ,but hey it is what it is i guess

geminidragon, Jan 23, 6:26pm
on a windy day on the motorway can be eye opening at times

geminidragon, Jan 23, 6:28pm
but as you say its really a truck ,they sit too high

splinter67, Jan 23, 6:31pm
Try driving a empty furniture truck youll think your bighorn is great lol

geminidragon, Jan 23, 7:37pm
i could imagine

supernova2, Jan 23, 7:50pm
Just wondering.Is it on4WD type tyres or car type tyres!.

geminidragon, Jan 24, 9:39am
4 wheel semi offroad not chunky and more of a road pattern they call it at they are radar tyres