Holden Colorado 2013 Towbar wiring

skull, Jan 22, 9:47pm
Is wiring for a trailer no longer a matter of locating the correct wires in a tail light assembly and splicing into the appropriate wires. Son wants a towbar on his new ute and has been told he needs to purchase a genuine trailer loom from Holden.

gadgit3, Jan 22, 10:05pm
It is the case with many late model vehicles these days. LED lights and load sensing ECU's are affected by after market wiring.

bwg11, Jan 22, 10:28pm
There are local, much cheaper alternatives to "factory" wiring kits. Google "Trailer light interface".

franc123, Jan 23, 5:21am
If its an LTZ model, yes, it needs the GM trailer harness and towing module, and the module needs to be configured by a Holden dealer, it can't just be plugged in and be functional. Don't use aftermarket crap while still in warranty.

unbeatabull, Jan 23, 5:27am
Its due to most things being PWM (Pulse Width Modulated) these days.

Aftermarket kits work fine - you will probably find most dealers will fit an aftermarket option for you (I know Best Bars do one for the new Ranger as well as a lot of vehicles)

skull, Jan 23, 5:36am
Thanks for the info guys, shame you don't all agree. Don't know which way to jump now, it's brand new and we wouldn't want to wreck the warranty.

a.woodrow, Jan 23, 7:10am
Everyone's pretty much said the same thing - you need a wiring harness, either genuine or aftermarket. You'll have issues with the vehicle if you try to splice in wires

skull, Jan 23, 7:32am
Everyone has said we need a wiring harness but one has indicated that ONLY a genuine harness will do as it needs to be programmed by GM.

a.woodrow, Jan 23, 7:41am
I know that - OP's original post was along the lines of can't we just splice the wires. everyone was in agreement that they couldn't

morrisjvan, Jan 23, 9:47am
It's a sad day when you can't even splice in a trailer plug, next you'll be telling me you can't make ya own towbar out of a few bits of scrap steel lying around !