Recondition or second-hand power steering

tara13, Jan 23, 5:26am
Failed a warrant today as my power steering rack is leaking.Given the age of my car (1992) am I better to put in a reconditioned one or should I take the chance that any second-hand one I get put in will be okay.Yeah, I know, how long is a piece of string, but I had to ask.I'm not at all financial at the moment so I am trying to think what the best option is.At some stage, maybe later in the year I would like to look at buying a new car if finances permit.For now I just need to be able to get my warrant.Any advice/recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

franc123, Jan 23, 5:30am
Go second hand if you are going to be selling it, not worth fitting a recon unit unless you were keeping it.

tara13, Jan 23, 6:10am
What's the chances of a second-hand one being a real dud though!

mugenb20b, Jan 23, 6:47am
What kind of car have you got! How many kms has it done!

tara13, Jan 23, 7:06am
Nissan Primera, quite a few kilometres on there

mugenb20b, Jan 23, 7:53am
I would get a second hand rack, it's a gamble I would take if I was going to keep the car for less than a year.

tara13, Jan 23, 8:06am
Yeah it is a gamble, but one which concerns me.I will see what price I get quoted for the second hand one compared to the reconditioned one.

elect70, Jan 24, 1:41am
Assuming its arack & pinionhardest part isgetting it out .Cost of fixing issmalljustmatter ofreplacingseals .&boots

dave653, Jan 24, 2:11am
I just replaced the rack on our Commodore. Cost less than $400, reconed, incl frieght. Shop in town quoted me $450 to do it, but the car would have been off the road for however long they needed it. and the missus don't walk anywhere!

mileyfan73, Jan 25, 8:49am
Gotta do my rack on my Accord,majority of cost is labour.Second hand rack only $130 but whole job going to cost nearly $500.Guess it just depends how long you intend to keep it as to what you spend on it.