Falcon XR6 Turbo driveline centre bearing

Page 1 / 2
southern_man, Jan 31, 8:12am
I have an 03 xr6t and the rubber on the centre bearing has split, The ford dealer says i haveto buy a new drive shaft.$2600.Is there a way to replace the rubber! i've tried finding a 2nd hand driveshaft but to no avail in south island.Any help/tips appreciated. Thanks

mugenb20b, Jan 31, 8:18am
Why is that a problem if the bearing is OK!

unbeatabull, Jan 31, 8:33am
Yes you can get the bearing replaced. It requires a press, and about 2 hours work as you have to disassemble the driveshaft (2x CV Joints). A new bearing is around $400 last one we did. Plus a driveshaft balance afterwards which is about another 30 mins work.

unbeatabull, Jan 31, 8:35am
The rubber hanger is what supports the driveshaft in the centre. Ford released a TSB that said a small split was ok as WOF's were failing them as soon as the started cracking. Obviously this one must be pretty bad. Basically if it fails the D/Shaft will drop and run on the hoop and make funny noises and eventually terminate itself.

casper35, Jan 31, 8:43am
how many ks has it done.

rob_man, Jan 31, 9:27am
Why do they use a two piece driveshaft! I'd be inclined to have a solid one made. Just something else (expensive) to wear out.

southern_man, Jan 31, 10:16am
Yes the split is pretty bad the bearing is fine.there is no noise produced by whats happened, failed a wof is all, the driveshaft is sitting in the lower 3rd of the hangar hoop. repco has the parts for $310+gstthey say but the picture dosent look like what i need. 126000kms on the clock

strobo, Jan 31, 5:40pm
x1
#1 Good luck with centre bearing rubber.Btw The dealer price for the(2007) xr6t turbo charger is only $23000 retail( no kidding) or $2200 garrett local .Yourmodel.will be comming up for a fix at that kms . suggest taking the micro filter out of the oil feed pipe unionat the block on left side front near the oil filter . better the turbo isgetting oil than none at all . a circlip holds it in .pluck it out and throw it. but keep the oil change intervals up on it.
Try Avon city Fchchfor the drive shaft , they dismantle fords there as well supply2nd hand parts.

unbeatabull, Jan 31, 6:21pm
They also source aftermarket bearings . I'm in a good position to know :)

Turbo's are only $2700 dealer price. I don't know what Strobo has been smoking but that's all they've been. Maybe he was thinking of a new Territory Diesel turbo that is $23k for a genuine one (Which is ridiculous)

strobo, Jan 31, 6:31pm
No true I got them to fax the price .for proof and passed that onto the turbo shop for laughs. if the bearings collapse a good chance the housing is damaged as well!There are kits availableproviding the housing is ok.
The dealer pricewas from one branch and the other branch respectively( same outfit )was $17000 couldnt believe what i was hearing either i wanted a turbo not a car. funny stuff , bugger it ill name themteam hutchy17000 rand avon 23000 r. for a BF 2007 xr6t.

serf407, Jan 31, 6:39pm
x1
If you want a pro driveshaft repair job. http://www.beattys.co.nz/
Make up a container and put driveshaft in it. Put on plane.
Get Quote and then go/ no go.
Car Brands go to them to remedy driveline problems that exist because of the car makers' design.

phard, Jan 31, 7:46pm

strobo, Feb 1, 4:48am
x1
Circle track engineering repair themdrive shafts in chch as well forgot to mention this morning.

unbeatabull, Feb 1, 5:08am
That's bullshit. I can tell you we did one last week brand new for $2.3k. Brand new genuine. Only turbo's from Ford that are that expensive are the Diesel Territory.

strobo, Feb 1, 5:24am
I did one 3 weeks ago for $2200 complete unit new in the box(garrett)
read my posts , bullshit is you not comprehending. They had the rego when i rang them for a price .Not for a Territory . ring them ya self. obviously i did better than youat your price! The piss take is on the dealershipnot on me . i couldn't care less . not my car.

unbeatabull, Feb 1, 5:28am
I don't need to ring them when I work there buddy. I can tell you right now we stock them on the shelf for $2.3k complete housing and all.

Although - we do have a trainee person on the parts atm while our main call person is away on holiday - maybe there was a muckup! Either way, I can tell you that we do them for 2.3k.

Plus all Ford Dealers use the same Parts system so prices won't vary any more then 10% between two dealers.

unbeatabull, Feb 1, 5:37am
Mount Shop and SAS both do replacement bearing/hangers.

strobo, Feb 1, 5:42am
#17 umm same out fit 2 different prices!. one was a female parts gal ( won't name her )(hornby branchthe other(rooster)@tuam sthad a chip on his shoulder He was $6000 cheaper .obviously a muck up. but ya get that here and there.Just saying .I got the gal in Hornby to fax the price thru She was awkward about that but she stood by the price and was suprised the fax come thru.No denying that.
Is like a front crank seal for a Nissan rice burner truckat the dealership
$ 255though the samebrand high temp seal say wilson bro's $20!ask yourself , no suprises really . happens often as u would know!

unbeatabull, Feb 1, 5:45am
Ahk, I most likely know the girl you talked to and she is the new girl. Wouldn't be right. Hutchies shouldn't be that much either. Like I said we sold one last week for 2.3k, and have done probably four or five in the last year, they were around the 3k range but dropped down to 2.3k.

Like you've said, they are just a Garret Turbo. There is nothing "Ford" about them. We couldn't possibly charge an extra 14k for a turbo you could buy new direct from Garret that is exact same right down to the part number on the housing.

strobo, Feb 1, 5:46am
Ford couldn't supply me .its business to get a retail pricefirst btw .Iwent else where. your telling me what i already know. i never saidthere was anything Ford about the turbo at all , don't be a wally for a friday mate

unbeatabull, Feb 1, 5:52am
I've been drinking after work . leave me alone! lol.

Ford supply the Garret turbo's to us. Comes in a Ford Box at least! I haven't seen a Falcon turbo come through our workshop for that much since the first BA's when we did a warranty job on them.

strobo, Feb 1, 5:54am
understanderblelol go drink some more enjoy yr wknd.

rovercitroen, Feb 1, 6:07am
So. is turbo failure a common thing on XR6 Turbos! I was thinking of buying one at some stage.

unbeatabull, Feb 1, 6:08am
There is a gauze filter in the oil feed line from the block to the turbo. People who don't service there car regularly, use wrong grade oil or cheap oil filters get the gauze blocked up and cause low oil pressure to the Turbo which results in it failing.

We also replace the gauze filter at 90-100k.

95% of turbo's we have fail are from cars that have never been serviced by us or a reputable garage - always places like Oil Changers/Midas/Pit Stop or some backyard mechanic etc.

rovercitroen, Feb 1, 6:14am
Hey unbeatabull have you had a Mk3 Mondeo with a broken drivers seat lumbar adjuster wire rod! Mine has snapped and has made a small hole in the rear of drivers seat cloth. I've taken the seat out today and it is at the motor trimmer to be fixed. Local Ford guys reckon they have not seen it but google reveals it is not uncommon in the UK.