Falcon XR6 Turbo driveline centre bearing

Page 2 / 2
unbeatabull, Feb 1, 6:16am
Yes have had a couple. More common in Territories but have seen a few Mondeo ones.

mugenb20b, Feb 1, 6:19am
Turbos never die. They are always killed.

chook90, Feb 1, 11:47am
I think pricing from dealers is unfortunately a con. I have been quoted (within the last month) 3 different prices for turbos for BA/BF from Ford dealers, the most expensive of which was from the Lower Hutt dealer at $6800.

unbeatabull, Feb 1, 11:49pm
Unfortunately some dealers do. Its kinda complicated, but the jist of it is if its uncommon stock. Each dealer adds 10% onto the cost price of the part from Ford so they aren't fitting parts for free. But what happens is if its an uncommon part, say for example it is one only avail in Auckland, the auckland brand will add their 10%. Then say a Wellington branch wants it to keep stock, so they'll add their 10% onto it after buying it from Akl at their price. Then say Palmerston branch wants it, Wellington haven't used it so they will add their 10% onto it as well . it can add up.

You're best off quoting direct from Ford in Akl as 95% of parts have to go through that branch. But in reality, if the person you are talking to knows what they are doing they will quote the price direct from Ford without all that bullcrap and give you a genuine price like we do, and the order it from Aus/Europe or wherever it has to come from just so you get the fair price. You'd think all the dealers would work together wouldn't ya! Lol. Theres a bit of competition between them thats for sure! And have seen some pretty dodgy work from cars that have been worked on at other dealers around the country.

chook90, Feb 2, 12:32am
Fantastic response and I agree entirely!

It saddens me that a brand name is tarnished by dodgy ethics and work from dealers.

Using my xr6 turbo as an example it was bought new in 2006 and company owned from then until I bought it in 2009 with 78,000km on it. During that time it had been serviced according to the service records by the selling dealer at all the appropriate intervals. I continued servicing it with them after I bought it until late 2011 with 127,000km on it.
At that time it lunched a turbo due to the common issue of the blocked micro gauze filter in the oil feed. As I understand it these should be replaced at +/- 100,000km yet the dealer stated that they had never done one and Ford NZ do not sell the micro gauze filter. (I later found that to be untrue)

Fast forward to November 2012. I fill up with gas and come out of the station to find half the fuel all over the ground - problem appears to be the seal at the top of the tank where the fuel pump sits. Ring Ford (same dealer) and get told that Ford don't sell the seal as an individual part, you have to buy the whole petrol tank ($1147). Discussions with a friend in Australia revealed that he had just bought a genuine Ford part there for around A$50.

Don't get me wrong, not all dealers are the same and the problem can often be just one person within the parts department but the truth is that right now I am in the market for a new car.
As much as I would like a low mileage FG F6 or new FG2 Turbo I seriously have to balance that desire against the reality that using dealers other than the one I have referred to above for after sales servicing is not a viable option for me due to location and work demands. So whilst I don't want to look away from Ford I am be encourage to by pretty poor service.

Again, not all dealers are the same but wow, go try the after sales support from a Honda dealer and you start to realise why they have built a customer base up that has incredible loyalty.

strobo, Feb 2, 1:24am
#31Nice explaination !

hyphen, Feb 2, 5:16am
contact TM member atlbalancing, he can change just the rubber if the bearing is ok

southern_man, Feb 3, 7:10am
Thats good i have somewon that will do it for me, can ford supply the parts! as the branch im dealing with are saying new driveshaft! when all i really need is the rubber or can you reccomend another retailer.

Cheers

unbeatabull, Feb 3, 7:41am
No, Ford will only sell a complete shaft.

You can get them aftermarket, be sure to measure your's first as they are all different sizes between I6, I6 Turbo and XR8. SAS & The Mount Shop are two I know of in CHCH that do aftermarket options.

southern_man, Feb 3, 8:49am
Cool thanks for that, when i was talking to avon city ford spares, the guy said an xr8 sedan driveshaft would fit my 03 xr6t sedan, are they still slightly different!

unbeatabull, Feb 3, 6:21pm
They SHOULD be ok. From memory the Turbo and 8 use the same shaft.

You will need to get it rebalanced though otherwise you will have vibrations through the drivetrain at 80+km/h.

southern_man, Feb 7, 6:54pm
Thanks for the help saved me heaps of $ Just out of interest what brand is the factory spec turbo on these not sure maybe mine has been replaced it has a garrett w5 i think it says

mopsy3, Feb 7, 8:33pm
Had a young guy tell us he was quoted $22K 2 weeks ago by Ford also.

supernova2, Feb 7, 10:11pm
I heard of a similar situation with a landcruiser part once.When questioned the parts guy rang Toyota and it turned out they had stuffed up the decimal point when entering the base price into the system which in turned cocked up all the other pricing.Have also heard of the crate/carton price rather than the individual item price been used too.

Much as you can never predict a price these days I always question prices that don't quite fit with my expectations.

cone, Sep 29, 5:28am
I replaced my XR6 Turbo charger with one from Hybrid Performance.
It was a 3582, I through away the housings and replaced them with my original Ford ones.
The price was $480 and works just fine.

liver, Nov 1, 11:42am
ba xr6 turbo centre bearing.
Remove tailshaft, mark both bits and ensure reassembled with marks in line, No need to rebalance.
Remove 6 Allen head bolts from CV joint, (or whatever it's called), and separate.
There is a circlip on the spline, remove this and use a harmonic balancer puller or similar to remove joint from spline. Easier with a rattle gun on puller bolt.
Remove old bearing with brass drift or whatever you've got, and install new bearing ($133 from Repco, 35mm inside diameter bearing for turbos).
Chuck a bit more grease into joint and reassemble.
Easy job, 2 hours.