Nissan Wingroad & CVT transmission?

rees2, Feb 7, 11:07am
Looking for some feedback on the wingroads, good or bad! Also thoughts on CVT - I've heard a lot of conflicting info. TIA

rellerion, Feb 7, 11:13am
Should be alright as long as youre not towing stuff.
I personally wouldnt get one.

cowlover, Feb 7, 12:18pm
Whats with this dont tow business!The Murano has a CVT and has a rated tow weight of 1500kg, likewise the Maxima.The Quashqui is 1200 kg.If Nissan rate them to tow then surely they must be capable of doing it.Think about it 500kg is about the weight of five passengers and luggage.Are you suggesting that a CVT with a full load will fail!

jason18, Feb 7, 6:35pm
We have an 09 wingroad with CVT. Awesome car, Heaps of space for family of 4. Drives beautifully (wife loves it) And ultra cheap on gas.

morrisman1, Feb 7, 6:40pm
the murano is an xtroid one I think, they are much superior. The CVT is very smooth to drive and very good as far as automatics go but the throttle response is a bit reduced and they need more servicing than a standard auto. Failure wise, they cost a lot when they do go bang but they dont just randomly go bang. Keep the maintenance up and dont treat it like a race car and you should be just fine.

johnf_456, Feb 7, 9:05pm
CVT's are different to drive if you haven't driven them before, but once you get use to them they are great. The slip affect does take a bit of getting use to, I have driven cars for over 30 years.

supernova2, Feb 7, 9:24pm
I agree.Think back to the 60s/70s.Mention the words automatic, power brakes, alternator, alloy head etc ( and even Japanese car) and you would be greated with great wailing and nashing of teeth, come forward to the 80s and mention EFI, electronic ignition etc and an even worse response.Mention diesel for cars and get odd looks and horror stories.Mention Citroen suspensions and watch people run and hide.

CVT is now a fact of life.Like everything automotive things need servicing and things from time to time require repairs.If they didn't why would there be parts manufacturers, mechanics, reconditioners et al.

IMHO a CVT used and serviced within the manufacturers specifications should be just as reliable as a push bike.

Sits back and waits for the slagging off of push bikes.

johnf_456, Feb 7, 9:31pm
If you do end up getting one, make sure its serviced with the correct oil. Many of the ealry nissan cvt died early due a incorrect transmission fluid used. Which initially gave cvts a bad name.

thejazzpianoma, Feb 7, 9:31pm
Like everything it depends on the individual design. The Nissan, Audi and Fiat ones for example are mostly pretty good.

The likes of what was used in the Honda Fit. complete writeoff, no matter how much you service it.

But, the same can be said of regular automatics too, the horrible Japanese unit that is used in many Volvo's is hardly a testament to reliability, although strict maintenance over and above what the manufacturer recommends can help in that situation.

rlr29, Feb 7, 10:37pm