Toyota Fielder Vs Nissan Wingroad

onlylv, Jun 29, 11:25am
What would you recommend? Looking at budget of 7K, low mileage, maybe 80ks - 90ks max and post 2007? Thanks

pcle, Jun 29, 12:29pm
Wingroad - depending on the model. Keyless entry is great.
Either is a good small station wagon that should last a while.

msigg, Jun 29, 12:51pm
I would prefer the fielder, i think they look better and better resale. Great to drive, the cvt is very good. Each to their own.

suzgs750, Jun 29, 12:59pm
I would go for for the toyota any day,servicing costs very trouble free motoring and better resale.

kazbanz, Jun 29, 2:04pm
My thought was Both the same size vehicle in and out . Both chain drive CVT. Either same year/same miles the Nissan will be cheaper OR same money you'll get a newer /lower miles.
That said if I had to decide I would pick a fielder every day.

muppet_slayer, Jun 29, 2:36pm
Either way you go make sure you purchase it with a warranty, 2 yrs minimum. Needed ours about a yr into ownership. $2500 breakdown warranty claim, + $478.00 which we had to pay on top of the warranty claim. 2009 Toyota wish. Hopefully that's the end of the breakdowns!

kazbanz, Jun 29, 2:44pm
What happened to the Wish ? was it the 1.8 or 2.0l engine ?

muppet_slayer, Jun 29, 2:54pm
1.8. As far as I know it was the largish square thing (garage called it the rocker controller) bolted to the passengers end of the cylinder head. I think it controls the variable valve timing (vvti?). The thing went into like a limp home mode and at full throttle would only do about 5-10kmph, I was lucky to get it to the garage with out a tow.

onlylv, Jun 29, 3:25pm
I rang 2cheapcars about warranty. He kept telling me that it is covered by consumer act which is far better than a warranty. I kept telling him that consumer act and warranty are different. I asked what if 3 months down the road, the car has engine problem. He said I can lodged a complaint with AA and they will investigate if it is due to my fault or theirs. He later said there is a mechanical breakdown warranty for 12 months and cost $500.

Golly, in my last two purchases from dealers, I just bought the cars and each car lasted me for 5 years. But both times, it was an urgent buy so didn't do much homework at all. Unlike now. at least I had spent more time finding out more info

muppet_slayer, Jun 29, 3:47pm
It's piece of mind and as long as you abide by the warranty rules (get the car serviced every 6 months usually) then there are no questions asked, they just go ahead and fix your car. Most warranties have an excess though of around the $300 mark.

Usually it is $500 for 1 year and $750 for 2 yrs. Mine is through protecta insurance and is maxi cover, it basically covers everything except normal wearing parts like brake shoes and pads etc. Has free towing with it as well.

Any reputable car dealer would only be too glad to sell you a warranty, it effectively gets you 'out of their hair' and any claim you might have with the dealership shifts to the warranty issuers so they usually push you to get one lol

muppet_slayer, Jun 29, 3:58pm
He's probably right that you can claim through the CGA but you have to do all that extra work of possibly taking them to court to get them to cough up to fix your car. Having a warranty is much more easy and convenient and makes more sense too. Sure you pay for it but it is worth it especially in my case where it was $2500 for the repair.

You also have this to think about. The car yard you buy your car from might not exist in a years time so you couldn't claim from them in that scenario even if you tried. A car yard can be dissolved any time. Unless you buy from a reputable car yard that has been around for 20+ odd years.

kazbanz, Jun 29, 4:40pm
THAT ^^^^^^ is standard operating procedure for that organisation. -Its a total LIE !
Punch decision into search and see how many come up
If you have an issue with a vehicle you are required ask the dealer to repair or refund depending on the nature of the fault.--That's the DEALER not some other crowd they pass the buck to -in order for the issue to time out. if they don't then you can take the dealer to MVDT
https://www.justice.govt.nz/tribunals/motor-vehicle-dealer-disputes/decisions/

electromic, Jun 29, 5:42pm
I am a Nissan guy, have been for over 20 years, but I would take the fielder too.

stevo2, Jun 29, 6:30pm
Wingroad is not a "Bad" car but the Fielder is a whole lot "Better". You will pay extra for it though.

kazbanz, Jun 29, 6:47pm
hey MS--If you are servicing your car every 6 months that's cool if you are doing it for peace of mind. But if only doing it to please the warranty company I'd suggest reading the policy docs.
Nowadays its usually 10-15000km OR 12 months whichever comes sooner.

kazbanz, Jun 29, 9:01pm
ahh so the VVTI. unit died and took the chain with it?

muppet_slayer, Jul 1, 10:42pm
No it didn't take the chain with it (I'm assuming you mean the cam chain?) Only the rocker control unit (im assuming that the rocker control unit is the vvti, I could be wrong), from what I can gather. The garage I limped to (a well known garage to us that has done all the servicing on it) outworked it to an auto sparky. They were quite vague about it even when I went to pick it up after it was fixed. I should have got them to show me what they did. Whatever it was cost an arm and TWO legs! LOL

muppet_slayer, Jul 1, 10:48pm
https://toyota-club.net/files/faq/12-11-03_faq_valvematic_eng.htm

Having researched it a bit now, no it wasn't the vvti unit that died. Scroll about halfway down to the pic of the valve train. It was #5 that was replaced. $2500

Rocker controller or valvematic controller. Very technical intricate looking piece of machinery. Lots of moving parts.

muppet_slayer, Jul 1, 11:16pm
When I was in the trade servicing was every 10000 or 6 months which ever occurs first so I guess I am stuck with that thinking. Protecta insurance actually says to do it as you say every 15000 so I do know I am doing it sooner than I should. Thanks for the heads up. It means too that it doesn't have to be strictly every 10000 I can go over it a bit if I want.

intrade, Jul 2, 11:06am
like i said 2005 onwards on toyota they are going to expensive fail just like any other car as they have the same garbage and corner cutting r&D as any other make. mitsubishi used to be the worst make now its one of the best. and not because mitsubishis got any better because everything else got so much worse.

onlylv, Jul 14, 12:12pm
Finally decided on a Toyota Fielder. Had intended to test drive Honda Stream and Toyota Wish at other car yards on Sun but either it was sold or not as good as the Fielder

Thanks Intrade for the link. Car is currently being inspected by Karl