91 or 96 gas?

Page 1 / 2
poohbearfan3, Feb 8, 9:39pm
I've just brought a 2010 Suzuki swift and am not sure whether to out in 91 or 96 gas!The salesman said it didn't matter but maybe 96!

johnf_456, Feb 8, 9:44pm
96 octane does not even exist. Its 95 these days. Run it on 95, i only use for the lawn mower that's half dead.

phillip.weston, Feb 8, 10:05pm
check the owners manual. If it's an NZ model I would say 91 would be fine.

alimac1, Feb 8, 10:05pm
Try both, measure your consumption, do the maths and use whichever works out cheaper. It should be ok on either

hpaul, Feb 8, 10:11pm

bill-robinson, Feb 8, 10:17pm
phone suzuki and ask them. horses mouth and all that

wrong2, Feb 8, 10:50pm
even if the car is good for 91, our 91 is rubbish

nz 91 only for the lawn mower

johnf_456, Feb 8, 10:55pm
Indeed it is

bellky, Feb 8, 11:12pm
I only use 91 in all our cars (disco, v3000, xr8, rx2), 3 ride ons, 5 chainsaws and etc.

Only ever had pinking in the xr8 once due to bad batch of fuel.

I refuse to buy expensive high octane if it's not neccessary.

High octane fuel buyers are SUCKERS.

wrong2, Feb 8, 11:17pm
your correct

& while they are getting it, their engine will be running nicer

bonus all round over 91 really :-)

franc123, Feb 8, 11:24pm
Lol aren't they just, there are plenty out there who seem to love boosting oil company profits, they wade in here every time making idiotic suggestions like using 98 in Suzuki shopping trolleys. They've got no proof thatusing 95 in a vehicle rated for 91 (or even lower) delivers more performance or economy or otherwise runs better, or NZ 91 is inferior to equivalent fuel sold overseas. Its a myth.

wrong2, Feb 8, 11:29pm
keep telling yourself that

wind.turbine, Feb 8, 11:36pm
my Toyota cavalier runs so mush better and works out cheaper running it on 95.
not much of a myth

johnf_456, Feb 8, 11:40pm
I disagree, the proof is in the pudding.

hpaul, Feb 8, 11:50pm
I can't comment on 95 octane fuel, I don't use it but I can tell you categorically that 98 octane fuel has always improved the running of my cars, be it smoother revving, shaper response, more power or improved economy - it is quantifiably better in every single respect than 91 octane fuel.

mrfxit, Feb 9, 12:04am
LOL goodgrief .

Theres a few factors that most ppl keep missing out with 'which fuel should I use"

Engine design
Engine tune
Performance level
OEM factory settings OR not
Total km's on that engine
Overall wear rate on that engine
Distance or city travel.AND how far each trip

In general terms . use the grade that the factory recommends
Compensate with grades & engine tune for city running / fuel grade availability

mrfxit, Feb 9, 12:10am
Then why do my lawn mowers & chainsaws wear out faster on 98 then they do on 91.

Sons 96 Laser & 96 Carolla don't notice any difference on 95 or 98 against 91

All 3 grades rip the oils out of my hands the same when washing car parts

mrfxit, Feb 9, 12:12am
In other words .

IF (& thats a big IF) your engine IS tuned correctly for 98 (+ engine design suits it), then it WILL be slightly sluggish on 91, but go well on 98
Vise versa etc etc

pebbles61, Feb 9, 12:30am
I use 91 in the Bonneville as that's what the manual said. I tried a tank of 95, didn't make much of a difference MPG wise. Same again for the Wolseley, normally use 91, ran some 95, she didn't like it at all. So stuck with 91.

phillip.weston, Feb 9, 12:45am
Most cars will be 91 octane, especially if sold new here. However if it's somewhat performance orientated (ie turbo, direct injection, supercharged, high revving etc) I would put a higher octane in it.

smac, Feb 9, 12:52am
It all depends on the vehicle. I've tested mine quite a bit and it returns better kms travelled per $ spent on 98, even though the book says 91 is "ok".

By all means tell people to check it out, or to test it, or not to believe the hype. But to give a blanket statement that there is no benefit to higher octane is just plain wrong. No doubt you heard it somewhere from some guy who knows stuff. Well he's wrong too.

hpaul, Feb 9, 1:33am
I can't comment on petrol powered tool performance using high octane fuel or its effect on 17 year old cars.

Sounds like it washed your hands well though.

electromic, Feb 9, 2:36am
I use 91 in the briggs lawnmower. 98 in my stihl and victa two strokes. 98 in an '02 stagea (direct injection and 11.5 compression ratio). 91 in my 1974 austin 1300 (original handbook says 85 or higher). Basicly use what works best for each engine. OP I would run 91 for a while and if it runs fine leave it. If it pre ignites run 95/98.

resolutionx, Feb 9, 2:39am
Only if your car is specifically tuned to use the high Octane fuel. Otherwise you should stick with 91 and spend the $$ saved on a box of beers for the ride home.

alimac1, Feb 9, 4:53am
Now there's 2 rare things. Someone who admits to having a cavalier, and a cavalier that runs.