91 or 96 gas?

Page 2 / 2
johnf_456, Feb 9, 4:55am
Of course they run provided you have deep pockets

the_chooky, Feb 9, 5:21am
91 is rubbish. it's a well known fact that engines that are run on 95 last longer than ones on 91.

chrisdean007, Feb 9, 6:58am
91 octane is faster burning and does better in short stroke motors with normal compression

96 is slower burning and does better in long stroke motors and high compression engines

a suzuki would be designed for 91 octane

a Harley Davidson would do better on 96

chevcamaro, Feb 9, 8:47am
boop boop de boop boop,can't we get 100 proof, one for me two for the tank

unbeatabull, Feb 9, 8:49am
95/8 Will always be better, especially on anything modern with Knock Sensors and Computer controlled Ignition systems.

Simple fact is, the higher the octane the further advance you can run your timing. The more advanced you can run your timing without pinking/pinging the more power and happier the engine runs.

sharchew, Feb 9, 7:45pm
Mine runs on LPG.

mrfxit, Feb 9, 7:47pm
^^ THAT ^^
;-)~

splinter67, Feb 9, 7:53pm
If this is the case(which it isnt) we should all run our cars on avgas then we wouldn't need mechanics because our engines would last forever

franc123, Feb 9, 8:11pm
Come back with some figures

matthew111, Feb 9, 8:18pm
a hint. either.

franc123, Feb 9, 8:22pm
Are you sure you were driving it at the time and not pushing or towing it! Come back with some figures, and preferably a video featuring a closeup of a near full glass of water sitting atop the rocker cover with it running on both fuels.

floscey, Feb 9, 8:25pm
keep telling the mitsi GDI guys to run on 91 , its great for the spare parts business.

johnf_456, Feb 9, 9:09pm
On my own personal car yes has it is high compression. So higher octane is better but every car is different so impossible to get stats for every car. Or you could post some figures.

rovercitroen, Feb 9, 9:54pm
It all depends on the individual engine. Wifes Outlander says use 91 and using 95 or 98 seems to make no difference to power or economy.My Stagea 350RX runs best on 98 but fine on 95. Had about half and half 91/95 in it once and had slight pinking on a hot day so obviously doesn't like 91. Audi 100 CD book says 97 or higher so use 98 or 95/98 mixture. The MX5 I had would run fine on 91 with timing at 10 deg BTDC but noticeably peppier on 95 octane at 13 deg BTDC which is a popular MX5 "mod".

hyphen, Feb 9, 10:38pm
jeez you people must own some crappy cars if you can't notice the difference 91/95 & 98 fuels make, or are you just trying to justify being tight-arses! Anyway I don't need figures because I am finely tuned enough to notice how engines run as a 'true motorist' would, not simply a car-type appliance owner

extrayda, Feb 9, 10:58pm
I have done the figures on a few cars in the past, and they all got slightly more k's out a tank with 95 than 91, enough to make 95 cost effective.Cars have varied from a Corolla to a 420Hp HQ (ran fine on 95, 98 didn't seem to make any noticeable difference).
I found 95 to be better than 91, and no noticeable difference between 95 and 98 (so I stick with 95).
My driving varies between crap Auckland traffic, and some short (15k's) motorway trips.Current car definitely not performance !
Thats my real world experience.Admittedly I haven't tested it for a couple of years.