Rb25det/rwd 4wd question

thegravelracer, Feb 9, 6:57am
A freind a i have a r33 track car build on the go all running fine till the bastard run a bearing on the dyno .i can grab a cheap (er than most not cheap cheap ) rb25det from a 4wd stagea wagon ,my question is will it fit without modification into the r33 ! or should i buy a rwd 25det .any help would be appreciated

unbeatabull, Feb 9, 6:58am
Will probably have a different sump and oil pick up at least.

motorboy2011, Mar 2, 10:34pm
I have done this conversion, a rb25det 4wd engine from a Stagea into a rwd Laurel.

The main problem is that the where the oil pickup is bolted to the block, the flange around the pickup will hit a rwd sump on the edge so it wont fit properly. I ended up pressing a steel pipe into the oil pickup hole on the block , then VERY slightly dented in the pipe where the rwd sump would hit it. I then cut the end off the 4wd pickup and with high temp rubber hose, joined the pipe and pickup (filter end of the pickup). You need the 4wd pickup that has a bracket on the filter end, some of them have it, some don't.

I then modded (cut!) the sump baffles in the rwd sump to fit the slightly diff position of the 4wd pickup. Looking back, the money saved by buying a $700 4wd engine and the fact it cost me near $0 to mod myself, id do it again