Help.. My dad bought a 1996 gm saturn years and years agoit is in very good nick the only thing preventing it getting a warrant

izabelarose2011, Feb 12, 9:33pm
My dad bought a 1996 GM Saturn years and years ago.It is in very good nick, the only thing preventing it getting a warrant is a rear tail light that was smashed.
Now we have come to discover just how hard it is to get parts for this bloody car!
My question is, whats the best thing to do!Pay the money to have the part shipped, get it legal and get rid of it
Get rid of it!
Get it legal and keep it and hope like hell nothing else goes wrong with it!

smac, Feb 12, 9:35pm
Would depend entirely on how much the light is.

kazbanz, Feb 12, 9:36pm
One suggestion would be to bolt on a trailer tailight strictly to get a WOF.-yes it would be ugly as sin but at least the car would be road legal

izabelarose2011, Feb 12, 9:45pm
I guess my main question is. is it really that hard to find parts for these cars!Or is the mechanic taking me for a ride!

izabelarose2011, Feb 12, 9:51pm
alternatively. anyone want a saturn! :-P

directorylist, Feb 12, 9:56pm
Parts seem pretty available online, but i doubt you'd find much in NZ. check ebay or google. Shipping isnt usually that bad from the states

lyingnun, Feb 12, 9:59pm
http://www.autopartsway.com/model.cfm!Saturn/1996
Why not try and source the part yourself.

supernova2, Feb 12, 10:04pm
From Wikipedia:
There were also a limited number of Saturns that were exported to Japan as right hand drive vehicles circa between 1997 and 2000. Aside from having the steering wheel on the other side, Japanese market Saturns were also fitted with slightly different light units. The rear lamps had amber turn signals and the front indicators were mounted closer to the corners rather than inboard. The Saturn faced a hard time in Japan, where it played directly into the strengths of the Japanese manufactures, comparing unfavorably with better-priced and more competent Japanese compact cars.[3] Especially the interior received criticism.[4] A mere 602 units were sold in Saturn's first year in Japan (April to December 1997).[5] Another problem was that Japanese car dealers have always excelled at customer service; this meant that Saturn's main sales argument in the United States was meaningless in the Japanese market.[6]

Could well be that the parts you need are made of that elusive unobtanium.

supernova2, Feb 12, 10:06pm
Is the car insured, if so claim and let them sort it out.

thejazzpianoma, Feb 12, 10:35pm
I fail to see what the big deal is!
Jump on ebay, order the part, fit it when it arrives in a week or so.
The whole process is just as easy as coming on here and starting a thread.

trade4us2, Feb 12, 10:41pm
Some years ago somebody used to make Jaguar tail light lenses out of coloured polyester resin. The original identical part for a Daimler V8 was available from the Daimler Club, but you had to prove you owned a Daimler.

izabelarose2011, Feb 12, 11:36pm
The big deal is that my dad lives in melbourne and the car is here.He has offered it to me if I can get it legal.The big deal is that Im not a mechanic and wouldn't be able to fit the part myself and so have been relying on a couple of mechanics advice and they have said you can't get the parts anymore they are obsolette. not even anything after market.

thejazzpianoma, Feb 13, 12:22am
Order the part, drive down to any mechanic or panel beater with it and they will fit in in about 5 minutes. Honestly though, (and I am not meaning to be nasty) if you can't handle ordering the light off ebay and getting it fitted you are better to sell the Saturn and get something else. something very mainstream.

kazbanz, Feb 13, 12:30am
So what effort have YOU made to source the parts needed!