Third party coil pack for Maxima

garfield69, Mar 14, 6:49am
Hi all, I've got a 2000 Nissan Maxima with a VQ30-DE engine, I'm looking for some new coil packs, but really don't feel like paying the $200 each for the genuine Nissan part.Does anyone know of anywhere in NZ to get hold of non Nissan replacement coil packs for a bit less coin!
I'd prefer new packs rather than second hand from the wreckers as I think they are known for being a bit dodgy.
Cheers.

curlcrown, Mar 14, 7:05am
How bad are they! How many do you need! One of the local rental companies takes the plastic engine covers off all thier engines and it helps the coil packs last longer because they keep a bit cooler. You may be able to get a little bit more out of them by doing that if they are not to bad.

smac, Mar 14, 7:05am
Try TM user 'honestlen'. He has nothing listed but definitely deals in that kind of stuff.

nissan_fan, Mar 14, 7:08am
repco do aftermarket direct fit coils. They may do your model

garfield69, Mar 14, 8:06am
Thanks for the replies.I've got two coils that play up regularly, one in the front bank and one in the back . . . which are both different just to be difficult!When they both mis-behave at once the old girl is almost un drivable so its getting pretty bad.
I'll take a look down Repco in the weekend cheers.

llortmt, Mar 14, 8:17am
I know Len and sadly I'm pretty sure he wont be selling anything else on here. He has handed the business over to Terry who trades on here as 'autopower'. That said although they do sell coil packs, I don't think they will do them. Try BNT, Partmaster, Repco/Appco, Civic Wholesale or Dasko.

motorboy2011, Mar 14, 8:19am
convert it to wasted spark, uses 3 coils.

bigfatmat1, Mar 14, 9:14am
civic wholesale went bust now capital civic. Just for reference.

bigfatmat1, Mar 14, 9:16am
Pretty sure a auto sparky would be of help on aftermarket coils for this model

budgel, Mar 14, 9:28am
Buy them from Ebay, much cheaper than NZ and at your door inside a week.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2000-2001-Ignition-Coil-Nissan-Maxima-Infiniti-FULL-SET-/280657216122!pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Year%3A2000%7CMake%3ANissan%7CModel%3AMaxima%7CSubmodel%3ASE%7CEngine+-+Liter_Display%3A3.0L&hash=item415879427a&vxp=mtr

Those ones are in Hong Kong, if sourced from the USA the delivery will be quicker but more expensive.

franken1, Mar 14, 5:11pm
These aftermarket parts are available in NZ via any of of the major motoring retailers. http://www.tridon.co.nz/partfinder/default.aspx

llortmt, Mar 14, 6:37pm
True but same address and phone number (although a few branches and staff were culled in the process). In reality they probably wont deal with him anyway without an account.

smac, Mar 15, 8:33am
Huh, ok. I did see the house was for sale.

extrayda, Mar 15, 8:57am
garfield - how did you narrow down which ones are bad! I think one of mine may be going, only really noticeable at idle sometimes.

bigfatmat1, Mar 15, 9:01am
ii have a little we tool that i place on top of coil and it tells me if the signal is correct and if the voltage is correct works a treat takes seconds to check all coils

garfield69, Mar 15, 10:30pm
Genuine Nissan part = $200 each
Super Cheap = $150 each
Repco = $120

eBay even with expedited shipping = $188 for all 6!

Thanks Budgel :-)

garfield69, Mar 15, 10:56pm
At idle I put it in drive (automatic) so the missing was easily noticable from standing by the car.I then one at a time took off each lead to the coil pack, if the missing got worse that was not the problem one, if the missing stayed the same then I found the culprit.I then swapped coil packs and did the same test to make sure the problem followed the coil pack and was not a plug or something else in the electrical system.

extrayda, Mar 16, 3:37am
ahh ok, that was what I was planning to try - problem is that mine is well behaved 95% of the time.It was bad for a while, but had quite a bit of oil in the spark plug 'hole', which was very carboned up, also inside the lead and up the plug.Cleaned it up thoroughly and much better now.Checked and no more oil in that hole, but suspect it might return, at which point I will do the rocker cover gasket.Bigfatmat1 - wish you lived in Auckland - that is a much quicker / easier way to do it.Would Nissan have that tool!I don't mind paying to get them checked - wouldn't pay Nissan genuine price for a replacement though.

extrayda, Mar 16, 3:39am
garfiled / anyone used the plugs that supercheap sell for the VQ motors - I think they have 4 electrodes - about $66 for 6.I don't want to buy anything crap, but don't feel the need to spend megabucks on plugs for a 180,000k motor.It's not like they are hard to change.