Front bumper reinforcement, subaru

Page 1 / 2
star_equines, Mar 13, 3:32am
Not car savvy and this all done before i acquired said car so none the wiser but have been told this part! has been cut! to fit a intercooler in and I will have to replace it, Can someone steer me to the right place forfront bumper reinforcement solutions for subaru 2001 please, Thanks.

jason18, Mar 13, 3:54am
Post a pic mate.

johnf_456, Mar 13, 3:59am
As above and you can do this by going to "my trademe" > "my photos"
Upload the picture you have saved on your machine and then give us the direct link

lookoutas, Mar 13, 4:27am
Just go to a wrecker and buy one.

Assume the intercooler ain't there any longer!

star_equines, Mar 14, 4:18am
No intercooler is sill there, but guessing its all going to have to be changed around

star_equines, Mar 14, 4:18am
Thanks I will get one shortly and upload.

rkauto, Mar 14, 4:37am
will need LVV cert

lookoutas, Mar 14, 5:03am
I give up!

The bumper beam is there for a reason - all designed for impact. With it hacked like that one is, the air bags will deploy sooner than the structure was designed for. The integrity of that vehicle is destroyed and the beam needs replacing. You might be able to BS the system by getting a new beam and professionally modifying it so no-one knows the difference, but it will still be inadequate as far as the original design goes.

johnf_456, Mar 14, 6:40am
That doesn't look good at all, I would be taking it to panel beaters to get quotes to get it fixed.It's beyond a bumper replacement!

llortmt, Mar 14, 6:47am
Parameters are they panel beaters!

johnf_456, Mar 14, 6:54am
Geez just a mistake, good old auto correct.
There is other mistakes above from other people, you better correct them as well to be fair. No doubt they won't since I am a target haha

lookoutas, Mar 14, 7:05am
It's a beam behind the bumper john - it just needs replacing, only that fugly intercooler is in the way. Which is why it's been cut!

One solution; take the intercooler off and replace it with standard system. Then replace the beam.

Another solution; trim the bumper further forward at the top by about 10mm - get another beam and section that to fit the gap between the bumper and cooler - then shorten it to marry properly into the chopped off beam ends that are there.
It still wouldn't be up to spec, and I stress "properly" as there are many people who shouldn't do it. But it would be better than a poke in the eye with a broken stick. Done properly, it would be very hard to notice.

Of course - the beam would be visible, and now block off air to a large section of the intercooler. So might be just as well to go back to the first solution.

johnf_456, Mar 14, 7:10am
Yup beam had being cut hence saying it's more than a bumper replacement only. Structure integrity related repairs is best left to the professionals.

lookoutas, Mar 14, 7:14am
It has never been a bumper replacement issue!

You shouldn't do this job john.

johnf_456, Mar 14, 7:16am
I never said it was a bumper replacement like what is mentioned in post one.

Explain where I said it's a bumper only fix, some need to chill and read posts carefully. Never assume.

johnf_456, Mar 14, 7:20am
apparently this means bumper only replacement

freesia, Mar 14, 7:27am
I have a 2002 honda odyssey 4wd and need to get chains for it this winter. Can anyone tell me what size to get!

nightboss, Mar 14, 7:27am

jmma, Mar 14, 8:00am
36DD

johnf_456, Mar 15, 12:05am
that is much more than bolting a new bumper on!
Re read my post, even your comment is saying it is more than just bolting on a another bumper only and apparently I have no idea to some here. If it was a matter of that there world be no mention to support panel etc replacements.

So in fact I am right it's more than just a bumper bolt on job only, the issue is what the bumper mounts to not the bumper. hence saying get a panel beater to do it, if you are not comfortable yourself with doing it.

johnf_456, Mar 15, 2:59am
Yes panel beater if you don't know much about re placing and removing body panel, bumpers etcOtherwise one most likely would fix it without the need to ask here full stop hence giving that reply.

Yes like I have said before its clearly more than a bumper replacement only.

star_equines, Mar 15, 3:58am
Crikey guys, between all theses posts it has me rather worried altho been a female it wouldnt take much so they say!

Anywho I went and seen a prof and he said its a matter of taking bumper off, unbolting the two cut reinforcement part bits which are only done up with a few bots and replace the reinforcement bar whole, bolt it back on and place a smaller intercooler in there so no need to cut anything out again. He also told me that the way the car currently is was legal up intill a year or so ago when they changed the law, also it would be to much work converting the setup back to original standard so I guess im on the look out for a smaller intercooler and a reinforcement bar which he said Id be able to source from the wreckers.

Thanks everyone for your advice but this job will be left upto a professional :)

saki, Mar 15, 4:01am
Its only a bumper mount removed a lot of them and supplied them to panel beaters, private customers who have had a small crash held on by 2 bolts per side and a few clips for the bumper.

theram1, Mar 15, 4:04am
Good to see you problem solved. However, this thread has some more debate left in it.

NZTools, Mar 15, 4:08am
johnf_456 wrote:
Yes panel beater if you don't know much about re placing and removing body panel, bumpers etcOtherwise one most likely would fix it without the need to ask here full stop hence giving that reply.

Yes like I have said before its clearly more than a bumper replacement only.[/quote

That beam is part of the bumper John. It is only held on to the front of the car by 4 bolts.