Top Gear / Clarkson & May at 90 Mile Beach

Page 2 / 2
hawat, Mar 12, 11:50pm
Hallelujah! Only took 3 squillion posts to get an answer. But what sort of answer! The Pumpkin Seed!

theram1, Mar 13, 12:16am
Built by Bill Burke around 1960 powered by a Falcon 6. I hope no one is watching because google was my friend.

http://www.thompson-motorsports.com/bonnpunk.html

bitsy_boffin, Mar 13, 12:28am

smac, Mar 13, 1:02am
I think it's highly likely they (or the media) are misusing the term 'supersonic'.

hawat, Mar 13, 1:21am
hahaha gotcha. Good one. but probably not the reason that they would come here at set this up. Thats why I wonder how much the comment "supersonic car" actually applies because the kiwi challenger intends to break the sound barrier.

elect70, Mar 13, 2:31am
It was shown &fllow upinnextepisodes of TG& theresult of the investigation(front tyreblew ). The series we see at the moment on Primeat 7.30sunday is thelatest filmed . Expect the 90 mile beach 1 in next series

socram, Mar 13, 6:43am
That was on TV1 news tonight.Good on the various Maori reps for coming to the party, as this segment when shown, regardless of what you think of the programme, will do more to advertise/publicise the far north (and NZ) than any other advertising campaign NZ has ever spent money on, anywhere - and for free.
It was Top Gear's Vietnam show that really opened up our eyes to the spectacular beauty of that country, so whilst it is easy to dismiss either JC or the programme, there are hidden gems in there, if you care to look beyond the schoolboy pranks and the comedy.

venom4, Mar 13, 7:03am
They used a Toyota corolla - which they showed on the news tonight but we actually got to be at the end of the race yesterday.

_peas, Mar 13, 5:13pm
That makes more sense.I was wondering what AC boat they were using, as the current Oracle 72 or the 90ft Tri just wasn't going to be logical.For the record. merely assembled in Warkworth.

twink19, Mar 13, 6:35pm
my SIL is runnung it

doug207, Mar 13, 11:51pm
Nup http://www.primetv.co.nz/Top-Gear-on-Prime-TV.aspx we're a few weeks behind, season 19 just wrapped up a day or two ago in the U.K and the next ep in NZ this Sunday is the second to last episode in the series.

But, we used to be very far behind.

fordcrzy, Mar 15, 8:11am
the americas cup boats are built by cooksons in glenfield

hawat, Mar 15, 8:32am
Umm that was where the Team New Zealand boats were built but were the Oracle boats built there too! Also I think the cats were built at different places to the single hull boats weren't they!

_peas, Mar 16, 5:15am
The first hulls only for the prototype AC45 were built in Warkworth.I think they did the wingsails up there too but each pair after was built elsewhere.Cooksons had a lot to do with the ETNZ and Luna Rossa AC72's. not the Oracle project.

carkitter, Mar 16, 8:58am
None of this make sense to me.
So Clarkson uses a mediocre Corolla to race a American racing yacht from Coromandel to 90 mile beach and loses.
- Why not use something a bit more exotic for the fantastic Coromandel roads!
- Why not use an ETNZ boat!
- Racing through the 90km/h Hauraki district! Seriously!
- What about all the speed traps!
- Auckland traffic! Hmmm.
- Why not race to Cape Reinga!

Clearly there is a lot of info missing so I'm not really going to bother until it turns up on TV.

I can't believe they haven't included a 911 (991) C2S, C4S, Boxster or Cayman in this series and now we'll have to wait a year to see them test the P1, LaFerrari, 918 Spyder and 991 GT3.
Good thing Chris Harris works all year round.

socram, Mar 16, 9:28pm
Clarkson's column in today's Sunday Telegraph claims NZ really is God's Own.