Good mechanic in Chch

jahemian, Mar 11, 5:20am
Hello.

I'm looking for a good reliable mechanic in Chch. I'm a female and I'm starting to get concerned I'm getting ripped off by the one in Lincoln, as every time I take it there, I always have a "hole in the manafold" or. something. Flange! I don't know. But being a student, I really can't afford to fork out $250 every six months, considering I hardly even drive my car.

So really I'm looking for someone who isn't going to see I'm a female and instantly think they'll get a crap tonne of money from me. Because I'm a student and they won't be getting anything out of me that I know myself isn't broken.

My friend once took her car to a mechanic and they told her that everything was fine, except she needed a cam belt change. She laughed and said "That's funny". Mechanic was confussed as to why, and she said "Well, it's chain driven". (Nissan + boyfriend knows a lot about cars to tell her what DOES need doing). So this story put me off even more.

Not keen on VTNZ, rather just go to a mechanic and get everything done in one hit IF there was work to be done.

Also: Can they actually fail you because there is a hole in the manifold! Will my car explode on the road and kill lots of people! As far as I'm aware you just waste more gas.

any advice appreciated.

cuddlycritters, Mar 11, 5:24am
I use Hamilton Motors in Riccarton.They're great guys and I trust them totally.I've been taking my car there for years, and mostly don't have any issues when getting a warrant, despite owning an ancient car.They can tell you in advance if you need work doing soon too - that gives you a little time to get the $$$$ together!

unbeatabull, Mar 11, 5:27am
I consider myself a pretty good mechanic.

meathead_timaru, Mar 11, 5:28am
As far as you're 'aware' you're wrong.
Yes, they can and should fail you on an exhaust leak. The exhaust system is there to expel gases safely to the rear of the vehicle's passenger compartment where they're diluted heavily with surrounding air. If those gases make their way into the passenger compartment, which is really small by comparison, the concentrations can cause light headedness, unconsciousness and even death.

Oh, and it's pretty easy to diagnose an exhaust leak, or exhaust manifold gasket leak. Have a friend hold a heavy rag firmly over the exhaust tailpipe and try and locate a hiss. Also, a manifold gasket leak will normally manifest itself as a regular hiss when the engine is under load i.e. accelerating - doesn't have to be anywhere near foot to the floor.

red97, Mar 11, 5:28am
yes the flange is reknown for that.

jahemian, Mar 11, 5:33am
I see. No one has explained that to me. How does this keep happening every 6 months! I feel they're not fixing it correctly if this keeps happening, which also puts me off going back to that mechanic. It's happened 3 times since I've had the car, and I've had it for only a year.

I want to sell it and get something more reliable, but my car is crap (I wouldn't feel very "honest" selling a car if it's manifold is going to keep breaking), and I probably won't get much for it. Also I don't trust buying from other people, especially since I bought this car and the previous owner never told me of this issue.

jason18, Mar 11, 5:34am
Go see this guy!

jahemian, Mar 11, 5:37am
He will try tell me my "flange" is broken.

jmma, Mar 11, 5:41am
Whats the car! A pretty Red one!

jahemian, Mar 11, 5:46am
Sigh.

My dream car is a Holden Kingswood. So don't start me on "pretty cars".

I sold my Caldina because I'm awesome and got into debt. Was heading to uni so needed to sell car to clear debt plus this car was SUPPOSED to be cheaper to run.

Bought a 1993 Mazda Lantis. Manual. White with a stupid purple bonnet. Was the best car at the time as I had a buyer who wanted my car.

Just because I'm a girl doesn't mean I like "pretty" cars. What the hell is a "pretty" car anyway! Like a Demio or something stupid! Argh.

jmma, Mar 11, 5:50am
Just kidding about Pretty car, If you tell us the make, model etc it may just be easier for us to recommend a Mechanic.
Kingswoods have leaking Flanges (o:

jahemian, Mar 11, 5:54am
BUT I LOVE KINGSWOODS or Buiks or anything of that kind of car. I regret not buying one when I was first searching for a car before my Caldina, there where a few going for the price I paid for the Caldina. How awesome would it be to roll up to uni in a big block Kingswood. So expensive on petrol though. Sigh.

Anyhow, the car I have now is a Mazda Lantis, 4 door, 5 speed manual. Crappy car. Should of kept the Caldina. Lesson learnt.

meathead_timaru, Mar 11, 6:28am
Rock and hard place!

If it is otherwise OK, better the devil you know IMHO.

meathead_timaru, Mar 11, 6:28am
That depends on how you're paying.

fordkiwi27, Mar 11, 7:00am
hahhahahahahahAHAHA

jahemian, Mar 11, 7:39am
They are actually going on TM for a bit more then I thought they would be. Although I wonder if the fact that mine has a purple bonnet with peeling paint takes the price down.

jahemian, Mar 11, 7:40am
Beer in the boot OK for you! DB!

llortmt, Mar 11, 7:53am
The exhaust down pipe cracks under the tin heat shield, where it mounts/clamps to the bracket on the edge of the sump. It's a very common problem on those Mazdas, it wants the down pipe removing the heat shield cutting off and the crack(s) welding up.

jahemian, Mar 11, 8:32am
Ah. The mechanic said it was common. Thought he was full of shit. :/ Is there any way to perminat fix it! Or is it super expensive / not worth it!

msj23, Mar 11, 8:51am
Rick Armstrong motors. Great bunch of guys. Young fella named Jim worked on my car and did an outstanding job. Stuck to the price he quoted me and was very professional. Can't recommend them/him enough

snoopy221, Mar 11, 1:48pm
meathead_timaru wrote:

That depends on how you're paying.

Beer in the boot OK for you! DB!

jahemian (3 )8:40 pm, Mon 11 Mar #17

KEER RIST.
Man IS DAMN GOOD
BUT I BELIEVE HE DRINKS SPEIGHTS.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Allmotive-Repair-Ltd/147167885356359

unbeatabull, Mar 11, 6:18pm
I wouldn't accept DB . may as well piss in a can and give it to me!

I don't accept anything less then Corona's :)

jahemian, Mar 11, 9:48pm
That was the joke. :P

Corona's. Would you like some lemon's with them to ignore the big crack in the screen!

I have insurance for it, but I've been driving on gravel at work and don't see the point in getting it fixed until now (no longer work near gravel or travel down roadworks roads with stones). Every time I get it fixed it gets a chip in it again. Windscreen been replaced twice so far.

This car sucks. :(

unbeatabull, Mar 12, 4:24am
Lemon's would be great. Can't have a Corona without a Lemon.