Recommend a good 7/8 seater 4wd please

the4whanau, Mar 8, 7:34pm
We need to upgrade to a 7 or 8 seater and want something that is an all-rounder.Hubby gets firewood so needs to be able to tow a decent load (with 4wd if needed), but also want it to be a comfy family wagon.Not sure whether diesel or petrol is best, but want something that doesn't guzzle too much gas.Any suggestions!So far we like the look of the Toyota Highlander.thanks

steptoe72, Mar 8, 7:54pm
4wd toyota hiace custom coach

grangies, Mar 8, 8:21pm
They will all guzzle plenty of gas.

monaro17, Mar 8, 8:25pm
Depending on budget. a diesel 100 series Toyota Landcruiser.

the4whanau, Mar 8, 8:50pm
I guess we're looking around $20-$25k.We have 2 school age kids, a 14mth old and a newborn so need to access 2 seats easily to put the younger kids in their carseats.Also want something where the older 2 can access the back seats without standing on the actual seats, which is why the highlander seems good with the middle seat folding down and protective backing on it.

edangus, Mar 8, 9:24pm
V6 Outlander.

NZTools, Mar 8, 9:24pm
Why are people who are willing to waste 20-25K on a something that will lose value at 3 or 4 thousand dollars a year concerned about economy!

If fuel use is a big issue for you, spend 5k on an old bighorn or similar with 7 seats, and keep the other 20 k in the bank.

andy61, Mar 8, 10:31pm
The reliabitily of these old Bighorns becomes a issue -blown motors,blown gearboxes,alternators etc,sometimes you need to get something more modern to get a dependable vehicle

the4whanau, Mar 9, 1:40am
I didn't say fuel use is a big issue, I simply said something that doesn't guzzle too much gas, and at today's prices I imagine that's a consideration for most people.I would like a reliable vehicle too, saving money on initial cost may not be saving in the long run.Thanks for your input though

msigg, Mar 9, 2:19am
Late model prado would be excellent.

bwg11, Mar 9, 3:21am
Having driven both, I can't help being blunt. Who in their right mind would want to do 10,000 or 20,000 kms per year in a noisy, foul handling, gutless, old and probably unreliable (as most have done heaps of kms by now) Bighorn when they could be driving a Highlander or Prado!

Edited to add Prado

the4whanau, Mar 9, 3:41am
So Toyota seems to be a popular choice.Thanks guys - is there a big difference between overall costs in petrol vs diesel taking into account fuel cost, rucs and km/l!

bwg11, Mar 9, 3:51am
I've owned a diesel Prado and a petrol FJ Cruiser. I calculate break-even kms/year to be about 9000. The FJ uses about 1.5 litres more per 100kms than the diesel. On 12,000 kms/year your running cost will be about $750 extra. This is assuming equal routine servicing costs.

thejazzpianoma, Mar 9, 6:32am
When you say "Hubby gets firewood" does that mean just firewood for yourselves or are we talking commercial quantities!

Assuming you need 4WD only because you are getting firewood for yourselves it is simply not economical to do so. MUCH MUCH cheaper just to buy your wood and have it delivered, and then to run a decent 2WD 7 seater like a Mercedes Viano diesel etc. With typical family running you would save several thousand dollars a year in fuel plus have better reliability and lower service costs. Or to look at it another way, your running costs would be about half. as in paying to go everywhere twice in a Japanese petrol SUV vs the Mercedes.

No point in buying any Japanese Diesels in your price range, they stopped making domestic Diesels in the mid 90's so their recent attempts are low budget abominations with poor reliability and economy.

Diesel is great for your purpose but you really need to be looking at European Diesels as they have invested the money (because they have the market) to build decent ones.

neville48, Mar 9, 10:19am
542786122Asking price: $3,500 Or Near Offer
Listed: Tue 11 Dec, 11:34 pm

This vehicle ticks all the boxes nicely and cheap too.

the4whanau, Mar 9, 6:58pm
Classic!Love that it has 'some brakes' lol