Bolting turbo to my '87(non) 2.4 diesel hilux?!

fivestar2010, Mar 8, 9:49am
can i just bolt thestandard toyota manifolds and turbo to my 2.4 diesel 4x4 hilux without any problems! its just so damn gutless and slow or any other ways to get a b it more power! crank the diesel pump up a bit! or is that just in turbo models i did it in my 2.8 turbo rodeo gave it noticable power increase

intrade, Mar 8, 9:52am
yea but that makes them blow up sooner only the old non turbo dont poo them selfs

incar., Mar 8, 10:01am
yes, i turbo charged my 2.8, you might have swap the manifold studs, there are extra threads in the head, you need a oil feed and oil return, and maybe water in/out, mine goes just as good as a 1kz te, mine you i have done the pump, snorkel, modified air box with K&N, 3inch down pipe to 2 1/2 inch exhaust from transfer case back to turbo flow muffler, exhaust temp guage is a must, 1/2 hr after test driving clutch started to slip which might happen to yours, i put a safari clutch kit in, every 2 months its a 12 hr round trip for a quick hunt lol

trader_84, Mar 8, 10:19am
Dude whats that about using a Safari clutch kit in a lux! Tell a little about it please.

incar., Mar 8, 10:29am
sorry should have said its not a nissan clutch just the name exedy uses
http://www.exedy.com.au/safari-tuff

trader_84, Mar 8, 10:32am
Oh yep. Ta.

trader_84, Mar 8, 10:34am
What does the clutch go like! Nothing special in fitting it! Did you get it locally or order it online!

incar., Mar 8, 10:47am
no issues, i also fitted a safari tuff flywheel as mine was a dual mass, straight forward, from exedy in glenfied, retail for the lot is about $1400, clutch kit alone was about $800+gst, if your in the trade its about half that

steptoe72, Mar 8, 7:45pm
My hiace 2.8 cracked its head. got a new one fitted at toyota,,,, Lad in toyota workshop said you can turbo it now. something about the NZ new heads are better than the JDM ones!. he said turbo kit off a 2.4 surf will fit.

intrade, Mar 8, 8:37pm
i would not use a turbo exhaust manifold from a original toyota your better off with special high flow header, as one of the reason for cooking the head is the turbo up higher then the exhaust port , simple phisic tells you heat rises, that with a restrictive exhaust trapps loads of hot air right at the head adding extra stress to a already inferior designedcilindehead from the 88 onwards Toyota diesel L engines.
you be looking at 5 grandbefor you finished with clutch and all the rest to make the thing reliable.

unbeatabull, Mar 8, 9:43pm
The thing that cooked those Turbo Diesel engines (or one of the things that did) was not enough flow through the turbo, causing the head to get hot and warp or blow gaskets.

You're better off getting a better flowing manifold, and also a bigger downpipe + exhaust system then from factory to help the flow and get the hot gases away from the engine.

mrfxit, Mar 8, 10:31pm
YOU & yes YOU .blimin heck .

Theres a few reasons why they cracked heads & NOT in any particular order.

#1 blocked cooling systems (including radiators/ turbo cooling pipes/ head gallery's)
#2 Never changing coolant chemicals AND running straight water.
#3 front exhaust pipe too small.
#4 Exhaust manifold turbo flange mounted too close to the head (nothing to do with height)
#5 Never changing the oil & or filter (oil is also a coolant)
#6 drivers trashing them hard sometimes with heavy loads & then simply 'stopping the engine without any temperature "run down time"

No single reason will normally kill 1 of those engines but all too often theres several reasons together.

I did see the other day that 1 of the 3liter engines has a far better turbo manifold, must follow up on that

mrfxit, Mar 8, 10:37pm
If you want long life from your turbo conversion, DON'T run full boost.
A non turbo engine isn't built from the factory to be fitted with a turbo.

Things like .

Manifolds (both inlet & exhaust)
Air filter systems (flow sizes)
Cooling pipe
Injector pumps
Oil feed lines
Engine management computers (if fitted)
Radiators are often slightly different.

Are different or slight variations from non turbo

unbeatabull, Mar 8, 11:02pm
It was a common upgrade and common knowledge on those that the restricted exhaust system contributed a lot to the Head problems that vehicle had.

Of course cooling system etc all contribute as well. But read any 4WDing or Hilux forum and they will all mention that the first thing to do is put more free flowing/less restrictive exhaust system on it and get the hot gases away from the engine.

trader_84, Mar 8, 11:09pm
So whats the story then re placement of the Turbo - when fabricating a manifold you try to place the Turbo out, or out and down, or out and up or out in the glovebox - where exactly does the general concensus state is best!

mrfxit, Mar 8, 11:11pm
Yep agreed, no probs there,but from personal experience, the std 2" pipe is fine for general running as long as the "cooling systems" are kept in good condition.

The smaller pipe was apparently Japans early model way to ensure the gas's got hot enough to burn out most of the contaminates generated from short usage or low speed distances

trader_84, Mar 8, 11:13pm
I like threads about these little piggers.

mrfxit, Mar 8, 11:15pm
The early manifolds had the turbo mount pretty much "ON" the head.
I noticed a 3lter manifold on Trademe a few weeks ago that had the mount that appeared to be about100mm to 150mm away from the head but didn't get the chance to see what series it was from.

Theres not a lot of room to play with under a diesel Surf/ Hilux bonnet so pretty much anywhere with enough room & shielded is about all you can do

mrfxit, Mar 8, 11:16pm
Glovebox could be good for mountain winter time driving