Corrosion on spark plug terminal

rpvr, Mar 1, 7:43pm
I recently destroyed a spark plug cable on a Toyota Corsa when trying to get if off the plug. It had fused to the plug because the plug terminal was rusted/corroded. Is there any compound that can be put on the plug terminal to prevent this! Been maintaining my own cars for 40 years and changed plugs countless times, and this is the first time I have encountered this problem.

therafter1, Mar 1, 7:52pm
I would be game enough to try a little smear of paraffin wax/grease.

mugenb20b, Mar 1, 7:53pm
That's not unusual for some Toyota engines. The same has happened to my brother's Corsa (Corolla II). I replaced all the plugs and leads and haven't had any issues after that.

clark20, Mar 1, 8:28pm

tmenz, Mar 1, 10:05pm
My Hiace leads weren't corroded but the leads were stuck on anyway - had to replace the whole set!
I would have suggested a light smear of petroleum jelly but it looks like the CRC grease suggested above will be the 'berries'!

rpvr, Mar 2, 3:44am
Yeah, I'm wondering if it's something to do with the electrical system on certain models. Have had two Starlets before with the same 4E/FE motors and never had this issue,difference being that those two had distributors, whereas this one has that strange system with the coil unit mounted where the distributor used to be, the "waste spark" system that sparks on the exhaust stroke as well as the compression stroke, and recommends the use of twin ground electrode plugs. Not quite sure what it's supposed to achieve.

rpvr, Mar 2, 3:47am
Thanks, will get some

dave653, Mar 4, 1:19am
I replaced the leads on the Commy a while ago. Bosch, two lead terminals have rusted. I scraped them clean and gave them a smear of CopperCoat. Should just pull finger and replace the rusty bits with the spare s/s ones I have.

bellky, Mar 4, 1:46am
Yep I use a bit of Vas.

splinter67, Mar 4, 1:49am
Are you sure you want to put that on here!

bjmh, Mar 4, 1:53am
crc808 silicon spray is good for this and spray the rubber boots.stops them from sticking on.

tmenz, Mar 4, 4:39am
I've got some of that - I'll try it on my Skellerups.