BlueWeld welders. Any good?

Page 1 / 2
gunhand, Feb 28, 6:47am
Mates looking at getting a BlueWeld XM2000S welder but we were wondering if these are any good and who has had experience with them.
Cheers.

unideck, Feb 28, 7:03am
Low end of the market, better to look for a Unimig, Lincoln, Kempi or BOC - even a secondhand unit will give a longer lifespan and far superior weld ;)

gunhand, Feb 28, 7:14am
Excellent, so not suitable for a small but busy workshop then. Mostly for rust repairs.

nissan_fan, Feb 28, 7:30am
I have a mitech 200amp welder i bought when they first started selling them in nz a couple of years ago and have never had a problem with it. It gets used every week including building roll cages. The cheaper ones are not always bad somtimes your just paying extra for the name

trader_84, Feb 28, 8:26am
You'd be turning that thing all the way up to get a decent bead on some 3.2 wall medium black pipe!

h.e, Feb 28, 8:46am
have to agree with unideck but will throw cebora in as another alternative. using a 250 amp cebora today to weld a 250 uc 73.Thats a beam that weighs 73kg per metre for the uninformed. Had the cerbora spraying for a good portion of the day and it never missed a beat, it would have to be at least 8 yrs old and hard years at that

gunhand, Feb 28, 8:51am
Well this is to replace a Cebora. The hand piece and wire cable seem to let them down for some reason. I have a new Cebora and first time I used the hand piece was dodgy.
We want something around 12 $1500 for rust work mainly.

h.e, Feb 28, 8:57am
IF the welder is supplied without a benzel gun throw the hand piece away and invest in one

gunhand, Feb 28, 9:00am
These units are one peice i guess you would say. You can't plug the cable in and out unfortunatly. Not sure if you set them up with a better handle or not.
Its one of these
http://www.kendall-dist.co.nz/Product_Display_18.aspx!CategoryId=287&pageId=0&ProductId=7751

h.e, Feb 28, 9:05am
I know the sort your talking about. Never had much to do with them, bit light for what i do. Think a few of the smaller migs have them

h.e, Feb 28, 9:17am
give rex at independent welding supplies in dunedin a bell, he will be able to get a replacement handpiece but weather its a better quality one or not is anyones guess

flitt, Feb 28, 4:07pm
I bought a Blueweld. Numerous rust repairs and some slightly thicker jobs. Home use only by a beginner.

- The wire wheel they provided didn't fit the hub in the welder too well. I had to jam a spacer in there to stop it slipping an inch every time i pulled the trigger. Before I realised this and put in the spacer, this caused a whole lot of wasted wire off the spool as it loosened on the wheel (it's still not quite right even after pulling loads off). I emailed customer services (I think the guy mentioned above, if i remember rightly) and i got no reply. Hmmmm.

- The 'included' auto dimming welding mask was a pos and died pretty quickly and was also a royal pain even when it did sort of work.

- Never had a problem with the gun. But I am still a novice I suppose, and maybe i just don't know any different.

Other than that it has worked well. Pretty minor stuff above, I suppose, and one of them is not even the welder.

franc123, Mar 1, 3:59am
I bought a 200A Blueweld mig a couple of years ago and consider it a very robust and well made machine, after looking at several machines nothing else came close in terms of quality and grunt for what it cost. Admittedly it hasn't been used day in day out but its easy to use, produces great welds and hasn't given any issues whatsoever the thickest plate I've tried to weld with it was 8mm and it handled that easily. It doesn't however handle thin sheet too well even on its lowest settings compared to my little old 130A cigweld but its a great all rounder. Its equally important to check what the minimum amp settings are too when buying, not much point in buying something thats going to blow holes constantly on the more intricate stuff.

h.e, Mar 1, 9:27pm
theres not alot that can go wrong with a handpiece unless crushed. the wires just complete the circuit from the trigger to the wire feed.
first things first.Cut the wire rip it out of the handpiece, give the wire spool a spin it should spin freely but not overrun to much, adjust the nut in the centre to get it like this.If the mig has had a bit of use replace the liner, google it not going into that one. Loosen the tension on the wire feed right off. run the wire through the gun. put a pair of gloves on you should be able to just stall the wire at the nozzle between your thumb and finger when the trigger is pulled. adjust at the wire feed untill you can. Over tension at the wire feed causes more issues than ANYTHING else especially on flux cored and gassless. The wire gets slightly crushed then its like pushing a square peg through a round hole. Make sure everything is tight tips earth have a look in the machine I have foundthe earth loose on the back side of the earth cable more than once same at the wire feed there is a heavy cable on the front of the wire feed it needs to be tight.
In my opinion to replace a italian built machine with chinese builtcause it has handpiece issues is a bit out there

h.e, Mar 1, 9:34pm
on second thoughts your welder is poked. I'll give you $50 for it (might come in handy for parts) will pick it up tomorrow

gunhand, Mar 2, 12:16am
x1
Ive got a brand new Cebora 155 and it was dodgy in the handpiece form day one, but the work ones are worse, as soon a s you get a slight bend in cable it stops flowing. We have replaced the cable etc etc but they still seem to it. Which is a shame as they are a good mig when going correctly.
Thanks for the info.

h.e, Mar 2, 1:05am
only other thing i can think of is you have the wrong size liner for the wire eg 0.6 liner 0.8 wire. The wire will fit up the liner but it will run like a pig.

edit to add check the rollers are the right sort and size for the wire

gunhand, Mar 2, 1:27am
Actually I am using 0.8 as thats what came with it!Hmmm I wonder.

pnh4, Mar 2, 1:31am
Bought a cheapy on here a 210 Migstar, has some gliches, if you can handle that, but allround a hot solid unit to use, light stuff pearl to do.

h.e, Mar 2, 1:34am
are you using random rolled wire or line rolled.Random rolled is a bit of a mess where as line rolled is neatly rolled on layered i suppose.That random rolled is shit,gets hung up on itself.

but 99% of the time its all in the tension at the rollers and the roll of wire

gunhand, Mar 2, 1:39am
Eeer, just the spools you buy lol. Looks pretty tight and nicely wound as well.

pnh4, Mar 2, 1:46am
The one I got weighs 75kg it has some good bits in it & glinches too but thats oleskool China for ya, 0.8mm is spot on, must be the wire youre getting.

unideck, Mar 2, 2:28am
Gunhand, try BOC. They had the 275r smootharc on special a short while ago. I bought one of them, so impressed I bought another for a back up, great machine with digital presets etc. From memory they were on offer at about $2,000 inc gst

gunhand, Mar 2, 2:35am
Cheers, ill pass that on.

unideck, Mar 2, 2:45am
Really are a neat machine. They run right down in the amp range too which most larger machines don't do. These will weld 1.2mm sheet without blowing holes so that should give some idea how nicer machine they really are. First job that came through the shop was a new rock truck body, cleared a 15kg spool of 1mm wire in the day and it never missed a beat at 250amps :)