Screeching sound from wheels while driving

rats123, Feb 28, 12:17am
I'm getting a screeching/grating sound from my driver side wheels (not sure if it is front or back). The sound is intermittent but seems to be getting worse. Seems like it is metal on metal but I can??

saffa2, Feb 28, 12:18am
wheel fell off!.

johnf_456, Feb 28, 12:19am
Could be a stone lodged on the rotor, try reversing and see if it goes. In failing that does it occur when braking or just normal driving. If it is during braking it is likely your brake pads are worn out.

rats123, Feb 28, 12:19am
LOL! Wheel is still there . last time I checked!

sw20, Feb 28, 12:21am
Yeah could be a stone in between the brake rotor and dust shield if it just started all of a sudden. Reverse up an empty street quite quickly, then stand on the brakes. That should get the stone out. If it doesn't, you will have to take the wheel off and pry the dust shield back a bit.

rats123, Feb 28, 12:22am
Happens while doing both though I feel it's somehow linked to the braking.

kazbanz, Feb 28, 12:47am
rats--MOST likely your pads are just about worn out and the indicator tag is touching the disks. The very noise you are hearing is what they are soposed to do. Budget for a new set of pads and book it in to a mechanic. sooner rather than later before they ARE worn out and you need to machine the rotors. If Im wrong then the mechanic will sort out the other options suggested

yvette1, Feb 28, 12:47am
Step 1. Drive to workshop.
Step 2. Tell the nice man in the overalls what you can hear when you drive.
Step 3. He will have a quick look and suggest a course of action to remove the cause of the noise.

fiatracer, Feb 28, 12:51am
"intermittent but seems to be getting worse."

almost certainly brake pads. go to a trusted workshop for replacement. Many would suggest avoiding the large franchise places who make their money by upselling ie - you go in needing pads, next thing they have told you you "need" discs, shocks, a wheel alignment, mufflers, suspension busges, an entire exhaust system, perhaps anodising of the entire floorpan, titanium hoseclips.

drog, Feb 28, 1:14am
Yes. Simple.

buddynz1, Feb 28, 1:21am
definately brake pads

rats123, Feb 28, 1:29am
Thanks for your posts. Can someone recommend a reliable mechanic in the Mt Roskill region!